Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Christmas Presents

Hi do you purchase presnets for clients or there kids? What do your buy and what is your limit?

Last year I bought presents just for the kids and sent homade cookies home for the parents. Most praents only bought a gift for my daughter. All my daycare kids got a cd with kids songs and a book from Chapters.

What do you ladies do?

Euphoric !
    Last year I got something small for all the kids. The boys got mini-sticks (little hockey sticks). They were all older, and it was something they did EVERY day when home from school. For the little girl I had at the time, I got her a book. Nothing fancy, but letting them know I was thinking of them.
    I haven't decided what to do for this year. I have both my dc boys on the 22nd, I will send the gift home that day. Probably a little toy and some cookies or treats for the parents.
    Last year, I think 2 families gave me something. Wasn't expecting it, but it was nice. Okay, maybe I was expecting it a little bit!

Shy
    Last year I found this great little company in colorado that makes sandblasted ornaments, They had "Merry Christmas", their names on it, the year and a picture of santa. I'm doing the same thing this year with the same company but have changed the picture. I also bought them each a sticker book from the Toronto Samko and Miko sale. Each kids gift works out to be about $15, so $45

We also make a big craft for the parents from the kids. Last year was little carpet mats with their hand and foot prints in paint in assorted holiday themes. This year we've made reindeer clay pots and filled them with candy. The antlers are the kids' handprints. They're pretty cute.

Euphoric !
    I cheat in the gift department because of my felt business and usually just choose something and sell from one business to the other - the nice thing is that I know it is something they don't have. This year I using the Night Before Christmas set. We will play with my set and do related activities for a couple weeks and then at the end of the unit they will get their own felt set to take home. Works out to $15 retail for each child (but I do sell to myself at wholesale so it's cheaper). We are also making lots of little crafts - ornament type things and they will take home a collection. I got tins from the dollar store to store them in. I will also add a few things that we will use in lessons such as I make crochet stars and I made some bells with plastic canvas that have a jingle bell attached to them we will shakes these while we sing. Then they will go in their tin to go home but be a surprise for when they open the tin at home. At least one of the crafts will be a hands or foot craft and one will have their picture. All will have their name and year on the back of them. I like doing it this way because of having part time kids not here all the time so that I am not trying to catch people up. This way they go home with stuff in proportion to the amount of time here which works out cost wise too - the more I make from a child the more is spent on craft supplies.

$10 max per child = $50 (enough to spend in my opinion!). They get books, playdoh, and the parents get all their December arts and crafts. I'm thinking of having a little get together (with parents/siblings) from 3:30-5 p.m. on one afternoon close to Christmas.

Expansive...
    Geesh you guys seem to be so economical....no wonder I feel so broke.
    I spend around $15-$20 per child. I think this year I am at about $80 and I was thinking of still adding some kinder eggs to everyone's bag.
    Great thread. Gave me some good ideas and food for thought

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi all, I usually do a video of each child with all the photos from the year and then a montage video of the whole group but who has time for that this year?? lol....so, I got wagjags for photo books and created one for each - cost me $13 for each child .... and then, with all my normal crafts for christmas that i do with the children, i hold them back, keep them (ugh, where to put them all!) and then gift wrap them - mostly are decorations for the tree with photos of the kids that they have decorated - and then it gives something for everyone...just thought i would share

Euphoric !
    One trick that has worked for me in the past is to hand out your gifts the week before Christmas not the week of Christmas. The idea here is our gift contains decorations so they get to put them up for a week at home BUT more importantly it gives parents a weekend of shopping and helps guilt them into a little something for the caregiver even if they weren't planning to but you have to give them shopping time or it doesn't work. It won't work for all parents but at least more than if you wait.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Hahaha.... playfelt, you are a genius...

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't buy presents for the children. Instead, I'll melt down all my old broken crayons and make Christmas molds with them and give that to the children along with green and red homemade playdough. We are also doing a little craft and I send home a dvd with photos to music from the year.