Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Christmas Stat 2016 -Confused

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!!!!!!

So, I was scrolling through my calendar and taking a look at Christmas dates for 2016 and stumbled across something confusing. Christmas Day is a STAT holiday BUT it falls under a Sunday. In my contract I have it stated that if a Stat holiday falls under a weekend then I get the Monday off AND paid for. In this case Monday is boxing day so ANOTHER stat holiday that we automatically get paid for if we get paid for stat days. So what happens to the Christmas stat?

This would mean that if we go by my contract for that Monday clients would have to pay double 1) for Monday being boxing day stat and 2) because a stat holiday fell under a weekend. This to me feels wrong.

This is the clause I have in my contract : "For STAT days that fall under a weekend, Monday after in lieu of that holiday the daycare will be closed and payment for all STAT days even lieu are required before holiday"

I have been doing daycare for 4 years now and never came across anything like this. If it's day unpaid well then oh well but I just want to be prepared to change my contract in the event it happens again.

I would love to know your thoughts and ideas
    Last edited by crayolamom; 09-10-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crayolamom View Post
    Hello everyone!

I hope you are all having a wonderful weekend!!!!!!

So, I was scrolling through my calendar and taking a look at Christmas dates for 2016 and stumbled across something confusing. Christmas Day is a STAT holiday BUT it falls under a Sunday. In my contract I have it stated that if a Stat holiday falls under a weekend then I get the Monday off AND paid for. In this case Monday is boxing day so ANOTHER stat holiday that we automatically get paid for if we get paid for stat days. So what happens to the Christmas stat?

This would mean that if we go by my contract for that Monday clients would have to pay double 1) for Monday being boxing day stat and 2) because a stat holiday fell under a weekend. This to me feels wrong.

This is the clause I have in my contract : "For STAT days that fall under a weekend, Monday after in lieu of that holiday the daycare will be closed and payment for all STAT days even lieu are required before holiday"

I have been doing daycare for 4 years now and never came across anything like this. If it's day unpaid well then oh well but I just want to be prepared to change my contract in the event it happens again.

I would love to know your thoughts and ideas
    My contract states that should a stat holiday occur on a weekend, it will be observed the following regular work day. I outline the example using Christmas and Boxing Day. So for this year, Tuesday is a paid day off because it is the next non-stat weekday.

Might be worth amending your contract to say something similar rather than specifically Monday.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    My contract states that should a stat holiday occur on a weekend, it will be observed the following regular work day. I outline the example using Christmas and Boxing Day. So for this year, Tuesday is a paid day off because it is the next non-stat weekday.

Might be worth amending your contract to say something similar rather than specifically Monday.
    Thank you so so much!!!!! That makes so much sense. How would that work if you have a part-time client that comes on Tuesday and then they have to make a Tuesday Stat because of the Monday Stat and weekend Christmas day. Do they have to pay as well?

With how I have it lined out would parents technically be paying double on Monday or would it just be a missed day?

Euphoric !
    I would send out a letter ASAP noting the way the dates fall this year and noting which days you will be closed. As noted above typically you would pass the weekend Stat to the next business day. Since your contract is worded differently I would just clarify it now and make note to change your contract asap for new people coming in.

I would assume most of your families also have the Tuesday off as they would be shifting their stat day over as well. Inform them now so they don't plan a "me day" thinking you are open when they have the day off!

Euphoric !
    My contact worded little different because of thing like this. Mine say if a stat fall on weekend, I take next business day. For me, at Christmas, next business day is Tuesday because I closed Monday for Boxing day anyway.

Expansive...
    They will have the day off and get paid for it at Christmas so why not you get paid for those days too

Euphoric !
    They pay for mon and tues but you are closed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I think the banks are doing Mon&tues, and both are paid stats. I'm closing for mon&tues as boxing day and Xmas paid days.

Euphoric !
    Oops, my contract says the following Monday too. I changed it to the next working business day.

This year I'll be closed Monday and Tuesday paid and none of my parents will even question it. Hopefully yours won't either. Most won't even realize that it says Monday and they'll understand given the situation I'm sure

I just changed my contract! Five little monkies do you let parents know about the change or should I just cross my fingered and hope no one complains