Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Part-Time Vacation Day

Hello again!

I recently started taking in part-time clients. My question is what you do with paid vacation day. If all my families were full-times it's simple I take 2 weeks paid vacation and have it in my contract that all families need to pay 10 vacation day. How does that work with part-time?

For example if I have a client coming mon and tues but I take Friday do they pay that day even if they aren't there?

It's simple with full-time because 10 days is up after 2 weeks but if someone comes 2 days a weeks then that's only 4 days used out of the ten if they pay for vacation days.

How does this week please help

Expansive...
    with my part time parents it works different than with my full time parents such as if I take a week off and their child only comes 3 days a week they only use 3 out of the 10 or 6 days for two weeks or if they have 2 days a week it will work out to 4 days instead of 10

Euphoric !
    While this doesn't apply to me what I would do if it was me is have the families pay for your vacation based on weeks of care not days of care. So if you take a week off, they pay for the days they would have attended during that week. If you only take a few days off, again they pay for the days they would have attended.

When you get paid vacation you are just trying to get compensated for the money you would have made during those days...you are not trying to profit more (having the family pay for all the days you take off even if they would not have paid for care if you were open).

The same would be reflected if you allow families to take vacation time (unpaid). If you allow full time children 2 weeks off unpaid vacation (theirs, not yours) then the part time children would not get 10 days , they would get the same 2 week period (how ever many days they would have attended whether it be 4 or 6 or what ever).

The most important thing here is that your contract reflects your plan and that you ensure the families are aware of this when they sign (and I would direct them back to their contract before you take time off to remind them the first time).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don't list my paid vacation in weeks, I list it in days in my contract ie. 4 weeks=20 days. I often will take 2-3 days attached to a long weekend, but not the whole week. So if my families pay for 10 days of my rest time, they will pay based on the days they attend when it overlaps with my vacation. In the instance where I have FT families, I might take full weeks, so their days paid to me, might all be used up in the summer, but I will continue to take days off during the year, and the part-timers will continue to pay until the 10 days have been used that overlap with my days off.

Starting to feel at home...
    This is one of the reasons why I charge a flat monthly fee rather than charging by the day. That way, I get paid the same each month from all my clients regardless of my vacation time or stats. The only time the rate would change is if I go over the amount of holidays that I have allotted myself for the year, in which case I would deduct that from their next monthly fee (though I don't foresee that ever happening).

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I charge a flat monthly fee rather than charging by the day. That way, I get paid the same each month from all my clients regardless of my vacation time or stats. The only time the rate would change is if I go over the amount of holidays that I have allotted myself for the year, in which case I would deduct that from their next monthly fee (though I don't foresee that ever happening).
    I charge a monthly rate too as it works best for me

Euphoric !
    I have 10 days personal per year. For my part timer, they pay if me vacation fall on day they normally here.

So my part time child here Wednesday and Friday.

If I take a full week off, then they pay for 2 day just like they normally would. If I take an odd day off and it happen fall on their day, then they pay for it. Basically, my client pay their weekly rate whether not I have been open full week, part week, none of week.

I will add, I mindful to try not schedule my odd days off so they always fall on this client's days. I keep in mind he 40% position and so try and keep it so he not paying more than 40% of my leave entitlement which would be about 4 paid days a year for a 2 day place). But if it does end up being little over that fall on his days, too bad. I just make sure I not taking 10 Wednesday each year because I feel that be unfair.

I do not charge PT client day if I take off a day they not normally here. To me that seem odd. If parent working 2 day a week Wednesday and Friday and I take a Thursday off, it seem unfair that they have to find 3 days of child care fees that week, when they not working that extra day to earn extra cost and when they've never paid for child care on Thursday before. How parent able control their own budget cost with that? What they do if I took Mon, Tues, worked their Wed, took Thu off and worked their Friday - they expected to pay full week fees for same level care they always get when I not off during week?