Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...
    All of my parents verbally want the full details of all meals/toileting/sleep/behaviour etc. even if it's in the book, so it's not always quick.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    All of my parents verbally want the full details of all meals/toileting/sleep/behaviour etc. even if it's in the book, so it's not always quick.
    There is nothing wrong with them wanting those details BUT odds are each of those parents would be incredibly frustrated if their boss showed up at the end of their shift every day wanting a detailed report of everything that took place that day. There is a time and a place for that type of information to be passed on and it is NOT after one's shift is over, it needs to be done during working hours when the person's attention is not required on work related tasks.

Regardless if they continue verbally discussing these details please spare yourself the time and energy of communicating in the written books!

Euphoric !
    Really? That sounds exhausting! I don't even post my menu anymore as parents don't even read it. I would just tell parents that all details of the day is in the book for them to read.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    Regardless if they continue verbally discussing these details please spare yourself the time and energy of communicating in the written books!
    I completely agree with this! Why waste your time with the books if you then have to repeat all of the info verbally?

I would send out an email to all parents restating your closing time and emphasize that 'closing time' means that all families must be gone by that time. Then print out a copy for each family and have them sign it. I would also do as others have suggested and switch pick ups to indoors so that you have more control over rounding up the children and handing them over.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Just curious what is taking so long to talk about? My parents (who ask) usually just say "good day?" I say yep or if not I will say - we didn't bring our listening ears today, we had a timeout because we were pushing our friends today or we had a potty accident etc. I don't go into full on detail about the whole incident because I have already dealt with it and disciplined accordingly.

In the event something major needs to be addressed I send an email to parent during the day.
    I have quite a rapport with my daycare parents for the most part. I want to know what is going on at home that may effect their child and I give positive feedback in addition to communicating any negative behaviours. I find it very impersonal to just pass the child back and forth like shared custody of two parents who do not talk. I let a parent know what we have done that day, milestones met and whether they slept and ate well or not. I dont do this for every parent, and also if it just so happens that everyone picks up at the same time, then there isn't really that unless I need to speak to a parent and then I will pull them to one side.

My parents know that no news is good news, but then there are behavioural issues I am working on and it is really important that I constantly check in with the parents verbally each day. I would tell those parents that they need to pick up 10 minutes prior to closing each day so we can touch base. If they were unable to, then I would email them. I also think it is important to not just talk about the negative things at the door, but also share some of the days joys with the families who have to go to work. I did the daily reports years ago but not for a long time now. I forget to do it, or a parent forgets to bring the book back, or they dont read them. I find it is mundane, and inpersonal.

Because I think it is essential that we share care responsibilities and collaborate all the time, I want parents to talk to me, even if it is trivial. It gives me insight into their parenting and how this may affect their child when in my care. I care about these children very much and am invested so to me, talking at the door is part of my job. If there isn't time, then I tell them upfront that I need to leave immediately for an appointment, which is frequently the case so picking up early is important.

Some examples, I have a child who has been suffering anxiety for months. Mom and I constantly brainstorm. I have a 10 minute limit with her simply because of the other children, although the front door is right next to the room and I can multi task. If she is the last to pickup then I talk longer. It is as a result of this, that things have improved. Had I not taken the extra time to talk to them then things would have continued to escalate. If I have to leave or it is later than I would like, then I outright tell a parent that it is time to leave as I have plans. Most of the posts I see on here about many issues are as a result of providers not speaking up for themselves. Take control! Quite often parents take advantage of us or break the rules because we allow them and dont hold up our own contracts.

I understand not giving a play by play on an incident and how you handled it, but sometimes it is essential to talk more about it if for no other reason than to enquire as to whether this kind of behaviour is occuring at home and how it is being managed. Without that conversation, resolution is harder for the child and provider.

I honestly find that the more I invest in those end of day conversations, the better the child is in every aspect and the greater collaboration with the parents I have. That results in a better work day for me and healthier children.

If it doesn't work with another providers schedule I totally understand, we all run our daycares differently, but if a parent is outstaying their welcome, that is on the provider for not being in control and telling them to leave.

It sounds to me like a good time to put an end to the book.

When a parent asks for this info, don't give it to them. Tell them, " All those details are written down in your book. The purpose of the book is to eliminate the need for me to have long drawn out pick ups for this kind of feedback. Please remember to make pick up time brief as I have multiple parents picking up. When you require the same written info verbally, it takes my attention away from the others and compromises their care. If you have any further questions about the day and I am able to answer them during a quieter pick up I will do. Otherwise please feel free to email me and I will respond when I am able to." That is professional and taking control of the situation. In all likelihood, they probably keep asking you out of habit because they have done it for so long and because you have done it for so long too.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 09-16-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Euphoric !
    Bright sparks - I guess for me I haven't had real major issues that require a lot of discussing. I chat with my families morning/night but there really is no need to spend 10 minutes per family repeating a play by play of our day/meals/activities. My 2 families have been here for multiple years with multiple children, we see each other at our children's extracurricular activities etc. if there is anything exciting I often text/send photo when it happens. If there is an issue that requires attention I also email or text during the day. I also post on my Facebook page so parents can see our activities, plus the crafts go home anyways.

I just find what the OP's parents are expecting of her is too much! Either write it in the book or spend the last half hour at the end of the day giving a play by play. For myself the day is done and has been long enough. If it's written down then they can read it there, if it's something that requires special attention then so be it. The attention should be on the remaining children and not the parents of the one going home. This is what is causing the kids to become out of control.

Just my 2 cents.

Euphoric !
    I think a newsletter is a good idea to address it. State your closing time and ask that all communication be done before that. If they all prefer to hear about their child's day over reading about it, than I'd suggest stopping the communication books as it's just a waste of your time

For myself, I only have one family that picks up at my closing time but I still give them a run down of our day, unless I need to go ASAP but I try and make my evening appts 15 minutes later than I think I need too so it leaves some leeway.

I'm a chatter myself so I usually don't mind it. It's nice to have that adult interaction lol. I'm not friends outside of daycare with any of my families so I feel it's important to establish that rapport during business hours. I mean, it's just part of the job right?? We talk about their child's day, anything funny they said or did, any issues (knock on wood, this is VERY rare), what we ate, how they slept, unusual bm's and than usually chat about anything else under the sun lol. Two of my dads and one of my moms will sometimes chat for 20 minutes!

Euphoric !
    Just say that you are more than willing to verbally discuss child at end day but please, if that is requirement, turn up in time to allow for that since you close at 5pm prompt and have personal commitment beyond those hour.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I guess the thing that irks me is that I have appts such as family chiro. and kids lessons booked for 30 mins after I close. Often the commute to get there is 20 mins in traffic within our town, so I'm often late when the parents are chatty, and my kids miss part of their lessons(which are costly) or we miss our chiro appts because they have now closed. When you work a 10 hr day, how are you supposed to get to regular appts? After work is the only option, but most are closed by 5pm.
    Just frustrating that's all. Maybe I'll just tell them to check the book. I do have a dropoff/pickup policy, which states 2-3 minutes for dropoff/pickup.
    Just be honest and let them know that your son has activities most nights after daycare and you need to get to them ASAP mon to Fri - I am sure they will understand