Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Daycare fees (Manitoba)

This is directed to any licensed home daycares in Manitoba. I was wondering how many of you chose to not accept government funding. I did choose the funding and now I'm regretting it. I'm frustrated that without the government funding more money is made. Sad part is a lot of home daycare are not licensed at all. The government wants more licensed home daycares but doesn't want to pay a fair fee to the provider. I'm seriously considering to stop accepting the funding and set my own fees. Curious to see how many didn't chose the funding.

Euphoric !
    I am private and in Manitoba. When I first started up a friend of a friend helped me get started. She was licensed and took subsidy. She told me to stay private if I could and if I decided to go licensed to not take sibsidy. She also regretted it as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am funded. I would have to charge $35 / day to make more without funding.

Outgoing
    I should add, you can switch back anytime. You don't have to stay funded.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Where I live, I am the only licensed home daycare. Everyone else isn't and they charge $30 per child. I am aware that I can turn down the funding. I was wondering if anyone did? It just seems to be getting more difficult to make a decent living with what the government sets the fees at. Cost of food is getting more expensive along with everything else but our fees haven't changed with this. The government is talking about looking into this but who knows if and when anything will come of it.

Euphoric !
    I'm in mb but private ($32/day)

I think if it's no longer working for you financially, then it only makes sense to stop receiving the funding and set your own rate. I would stay licensed though if I were you since you already are. No point in having that go to waste!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Must people around here charge in the 30 to 35 range. I used to charge those exact rates, depending on age group. I will probably stay funded for quite some time yet. I'm not making less than before, and the new provincial government promised to increase funding to home daycares by 70%. So hopefully that happens.