Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Temporary care

Outgoing

Temporary care

So I just filled my last spot but they don't start until mid October. I have just received an inquiry now for a 3.5 yr that needs care starting this Monday. I was considering offering a temporary spot until other child starts. Have any of you filled the weeks prior to a filled spot starting? I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of transitioning a child but filling spots is tough in my area. Slim pickin's here. Also, I don't want any trouble when they have to leave for new child to start. It sure would be nice if inquiries didn't come all at once, and then none for weeks.

Shy
    Since they don't start until October are you asking for a holding fee? I ask for half my daycare fee. This ensures that the family will actually start with you and not change their mind. There is no refund if they do change their mind. Then you won't feel so bad about other inquiries. Offering temporary care would be a pain and most families won't go for having to look for another daycare in few weeks time.

Outgoing
    Yes I have deposited 2 weeks non-refundable fee. I think if they're still searching now for care starting Monday they must be desperate.

Shy
    I also ask for a security deposit but I ask for a holding fee for all the days they are not attending until the start date. So if a family can't start for two weeks they pay half the daycare fee for that two weeks plus a security deposit which is the full daycare fee. I have a family that keeps their child for five weeks in the summer so they get charged a holding fee for those five weeks instead of me having to find a family to fill in for five weeks.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Goldilocks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Oh I wish I could do that but market here is slow to fill spots. I'm lucky to be empty for a month only around here. I'll find out more details about child. Other than moving, isn't it a bit odd they don't have care yet for this age? But I guess she could be on mat leave... I'll find out! I'm worried child could be handful and that why no care yet.

Euphoric !
    I have taken temp child before but other situation. When a place taking time to fill with quality long term client, I will consider short term place to give more time to find right fit in couple months. As long as stick to your normal rules about suitability, it should be fine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post: