Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Thank you for your message, Peacefulbird. It's not that we are opposed to licencing. As you've stated, good ICPs are already following basic compliance requirements of the Ministry. It's great that you've found a good fit with an agency and it works well for you. However, you should know that non-profit agencies are not available everywhere. In my town, as an example, we have 2 agencies. Both for profit and both, for lack of a better term, absolute shite. Their admin fees are very high and utilize the same model as many other agencies with monthly visits and unrealistic expectations and quality that is so mired in risk management that it's significantly diminished. I have mentioned the Wee Watch approved home a few doors down from me in the past. If THAT is what meets ministry/agency standards, then no, I will not pay 30% of my income for licencing.

I'll start with the monthly visits. First, these are not mandated by the Ministry of Education. They are agency implemented and the reason that most agencies are so cost prohibitive to many providers. The MOE mandates only quarterly visits which, in our opinion, is perfectly reasonable and acceptable for the seasoned, experience ICP. And we have done the math to back it up. There is NO reason agencies need to be as expensive as they are to the provider. Most of us have been running successful, safe and sought after businesses for years and don't require the level of soft services required by agencies. And to top that off, their practices and charges are uncapped.

Next up is Autonomy. We are independent business owners and have developed successful businesses on our own. We implement curricula, provide high quality food, set our fees, contracts, and have performed every other task required in running a viable business. We don't want to hand the reins to anyone else. We DO want oversight, but feel it should be the MOE that provides it, not third party entities that are being forced upon us.

And of course, let's not forget the rift between the licenced sector and ICPs. It wasn't that long ago that they were out there along with the MOE and media, perpetuating lie after lie after lie about our quality of care. Collectively, they made 'unlicenced' synonymous with 'unsafe' and 'illegal'. And then the Auditor General's Report came out showing that the licenced sector, in fact, has a much higher infant death rate than ICPs, we saw why the bill was pushed through quickly. And let's not forget about all the children they keep misplacing.....over 2000 of them between 2009 and 2014. When questioned about this by our rep in a meeting recently, the response was a shoulder shrug and 'These things happen'.

No, these things do NOT happen.

And still the licenced sector continues with their portrayal of us and the MOE continues to have discussions at a federal level, including the licenced sector, about a national framework that does not involve the largest sector of childcare. They are steamrolling ahead with a plan in complete ignorance of the real childcare climate. They have to be as they've never once collected data about the ICP sector, which holds 78% of the market. Instead, they're trying to push us out. And I'll tell you something else...their priority is on centre care. Otherwise, I would say that the 3.8 billion they're about to spend on 100,000 spaces ($38,000/space) could be more effectively managed by licencing home daycare providers.

I know this has been long. We've heard your questions before. This is more complicated than wanting to be licenced vs not wanting to be licenced. The entire system is a mess and needs to be fixed. Rather than clinging to the antiquated system we currently have that is, frankly, unsustainable and not what most parents want anyway, maybe they should wake up, listen to every stakeholder (including families) in PROPER consultation and fix the problem.
    Last edited by cfred; 09-30-2016 at 01:33 PM.