Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Terminating a family

Hello fellow operators.

We been operation for few years now and never got to the point where we feel like we have to terminate one family who just started. The child is part time and been attending for only 2 weeks now (2 days a week) and seems to be really enjoying himself in the childcare.

The mother on the other side is being super hard to deal with. She choose to bully our supervisor and this is something we cant tolerate anymore.

So my question is how to let them go and not get ourself in the situation, where she will take it to the internet and start bashing us everywhere for kicking her out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Shy
    I am in a similar situation. A family just started with me. A three year old boy and a five year old girl. I can't understand the boy when he talks. He points and grunts. He tries to speak but it's unintelligible. The girl also has speech issues. I was trained by a speech/language pathologist in an elementary school to help kids with speech. Because I'm licensed in Manitoba I can suggest a referral to see a speech pathologist. My coordinator came out to observe the boy and she confirmed my concerns. I spoke to the parents about this they were very angry and said their kids had no problem. It turned ugly fast to make a long story short. I'd like to terminate but I can see this family will bad mouth me as they are that type of people. I know I shouldn't worry because I have a very good reputation in the community and other parents are very happy with having their kids here.
    So I guess if this is the first time you've dealt with this I'm sure the community will ignore whatever this family may say about your daycare. Good luck.

Starting to feel at home...
    Goldilocks, you did the right thing. That said, no parent wants to hear their child may have a problem. Even if they were thinking the same thing, hearing confirmation is scary. I think its pretty normal for them to have crazy emotions. Until they accept it, they will be hostile to anyone touching that topic. I would suggest a meeting (of an email) where you can empathize and acknowledge their emotions, remind them you have their best interests at heart, and reassure them that it does not affect your care. An olive branch so to speak. If they won't let it go...phase two is suggesting that they may be happier elsewhere, but leaving it to them to terminate.

Omnishock...is this their first kid? Some parents are WAY over the top or anxious. I suggest maybe having the owner speak with her about her 'concerns', remind her of policy, and provide a new way to communicate (email) about her concerns. Hopefully she will settle down in a few months. Be professional and don't back down over policy. If she doesn't like it, she will leave on her own accord.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    You can't make business decision on fear of public media retaliation. You holding self hostage if you start second guess decisions just in case of this.

Terminate. Be professional. Do it in person but back up in writing with detail of final day of notice, fees owed and when due. And wait.

If something happen, deal with it then. Depending on what said, send a cease and desist letter recognising that they likely acted in frustration but state clearly that the offensive posts are not factual and therefore need be removed or you will take legal advice and potentially be seeking damages for the business impact their comments have.

If they post review on your site, don't ignore it. Respond one time, professionally, and state that you understand they are frustrated with not being a match, and wish them well going forward. If it continue, then one more comment directing them to your lawyer. Do not engage in back and forth and not give your side of story as that unprofessional.

Some people will go to social media regardless of what the real issue is and how you handle it. But what you must not do, is stop making business decision for fear this could be outcome. Cross bridge when get there.

Shy
    Thank you for your encouraging words. Things did not work out with this family. Mom begged and pleaded for me to keep her kids on. I said I would as long as her ex did not come to my house because he was so rude and disrespectful to me. She agreed. The next morning mom did not send her kids. That evening she texted me stating she will not be sending her kids anymore and wanted her deposit back. My contract states that if care is terminated during the two week trail period the deposit is non refundable. I said I'd give the deposit back because I know this family is crazy and she already threatened to get a lawyer. I can't believe that in three short days this was a family from hell. She was very deceiving and my fault for not trusting my instinct in the beginning. I did have a bad feeling but ignored it. Won't do that again! I just want to be rid of this family so I will give the deposit back but I will not return the advanced payment for two weeks of care she was to have her kids here. I know I will get some backlash but I'm not budging on that. Hopefully I'll never hear from them again but I doubt it!