Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Terminating part time families

I took on a PT family when I was just babysitting. When I decided to run a full time daycare with a quality program, I kept them on (had them agree to a handbook, set hours) and found other part timers to fill in the rest. I need to terminate one PTer to accommodate an extra day they need (they want 2 of his 8 days/month-this would be a financial loss for me), or have them withdraw, and terminate the others in order to take a full time child.

I'm so frustrated with the situation, I want to term them all and do full time only. I would like this to end nicely, as its a very small town. If I give a months notice, plus the option for them to withdraw without notice if they find new care sooner, is that fair? My contract says 2 weeks with pay, and that either party can terminate for any reason with 2 weeks notice. How should I word the letter? I plan on making it about the children-difficult for them to adjust to different playmates/routines. In reality, it is every part-financial burden of spots, stress of scheduling 5 kids in 2 spots, problem behaviour that is difficult to fix with only occasional care, and problem parents (complaining, stretching contract, coming early/late, etc).

Euphoric !
    I would just write a letter stating that this is their 2 weeks notice (or month whatever you choose but be prepared for them to find a new daycare quick and give their 2 weeks leaving early). Just say that you are only going to be offering full-time care going forward and that if they are interested in a full-time spot to let you know.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Agree with mickyc! I would let them know that as of Oct 10th you will be providing full time care only and to let you know ASAP if they are interested in a full time spot.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    They signed a contract with set days. They need a change, you can't accommodate the additional days. There is no reason the other family should be terminated because this family needs more days.

They need to either stay as is, or they go elsewhere. Just tell them as per your contract you cannot accommodate additional days as set out by the government rules for number of children in care.

If they leave, they follow the written rules in the contract for ending care. Stick by the contract and it shouldn't be complicated. It isn't personal it is purely contract and government rules deciding here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    They signed a contract with set days. They need a change, you can't accommodate the additional days. There is no reason the other family should be terminated because this family needs more days.

They need to either stay as is, or they go elsewhere. Just tell them as per your contract you cannot accommodate additional days as set out by the government rules for number of children in care.

If they leave, they follow the written rules in the contract for ending care. Stick by the contract and it shouldn't be complicated. It isn't personal it is purely contract and government rules deciding here.
    It shouldn't be complicated, I agree. But this is a very small town (more of a village, and so the children will all be in the same classes, potentially til adulthood). So the neighbour that switched her days is pressuring me to accommodate her because her kids were here first. So I'm done. I have one full time baby, and I've got an interview on Monday for full time siblings (for the new year). I just want to end things nicely... I'm giving notice to one tomorrow, and the other will get their extra day, plus notice that I won't take any part time children in the new year. I've already encouraged her (twice) to look for someone that can do all her days (I already had her get a sitter for nights and weekends).

I would rather be empty than deal with part timers after all their drama!!!

Euphoric !
    personally I would not even do that. I would be fair to both families and give notice and fill spot with a full time child now. You risk ticking off one family by terminating care to accommodate other family. That family could potentially get mad with your notice and end up leaving anyway when she finds out she needs to go fulltime anyways. You never know one family might step up to the plate and be willing to pay fulltime.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would tell family who want extra day that you cannot accomodate their request. LEgally you have limit and there is no capacity at moment to fullfill their request. Chances are they will go if they really need extra day anyway. That take care of that issue.

Then tell remaining PT family that you have decided to switch to full time care only. That PT is very hard to schedule and means either you losing income from empty day or losing client when needs change. That the regs have hands tied and you need to make this business successful. Offer them first refusal to extend days and absorb empty place from family that left or let them have notice for the change to full time clients.

Thank you for all your insight! I hate confrontation, and am easily pushed around. I think that's how I got into this mess-I kept accommodating PTers switching days, long hours, late pick ups, etc-trying to be their friend. I gave notice to both families today (via e-mail and text, our usual communication as one gets a family member to pick up, and the other was 10 minutes late and I needed to leave). I did give one a months notice and the other til Christmas, because one I just provide respite for the grandparent who does all childcare.

Fingers crossed for my interview on Monday, but even if my spots were to be empty for months (next up on my waitlist is Feb), I'd be better off. I can work weekends at my old job to pay the bills. I started my daycare because I love it-and I want to get back to loving it!

Euphoric !
    Awesome to hear! It is very important to remember that in order to be happy you need to set clear boundaries for your families and stick to it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post: