Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Part timers and pay

Hi
    How do you handle payment for part time dc children. With the new rules on how many we can take, I am thinking of asking for pay year round for any part time parents as they are taking up a potential full time spot in my dc. Currently they can have 2 weeks vacation but pay for all other weeks. Do any of you charge year round or how do you handle payment.
    Thanks

I get paid wkly every Monday for the week. If very part time like once a wk or occasional they pay the day of at drop off

thanks...what I meant was do you charge 52 weeks a year for part timers as they are taking up a potential full time spot?

My part times pay me every two weeks all year. Are you talking about clients on a teachers schedule? If so I give them 3 options: 1) pay a higher fee September to April (college/university schedule) and pay nothing over the summer (no care either). 2) pay a higher fee September to June and pay nothing over the summer (no care wither). 3) Pay my regular rate all year long and can have care over the summer if needed. With options one and two they end up paying the same amount as if they where here all year, just in a shorter period of time. I put $X amount away every pay in order to cover me over the summer.

ok so Blue Rose, you get paid for 52 weeks then with part timers...this is my quandary....family is here 3 days a week, can't take on another full timer so they are taking up a potential full time spot and I told them that if they were only doing 3 days a week, pay was to be received for 52 weeks. of course, now they are questioning....just curious how many dc providers charge for the full year for part time dc children.

Quote Originally Posted by martymonty View Post
    ok so Blue Rose, you get paid for 52 weeks then with part timers...this is my quandary....family is here 3 days a week, can't take on another full timer so they are taking up a potential full time spot and I told them that if they were only doing 3 days a week, pay was to be received for 52 weeks. of course, now they are questioning....just curious how many dc providers charge for the full year for part time dc children.
    I understand what you mean. I think what you are asking is do people charge for a full-time spot regardless of attendance? Of course everyone charges year around for people regardless of days attended, with the exception of teachers as there are varying ways providers handle that. I charge by enrollment to save confusion. I have 5 spots, and each one costs $225 a week. This does not vary regardless of days attended as I let parents know they are paying for the spot and there are only 5 of them. Gone are the days that I charge part time for the days they attend in the hopes of filling the opposite days. Sometimes I do, but when I don't the only one that hurts is me. Yes I have had to turn people away, but since Bill 10, it is rare now that this is a problem. I have even had people call me back who were looking for part time and didnt want to pay, but realized quickly how difficult it is in my area to find infant care. Needless to say though, I wouldn't take them on although I get where they are coming from. I am just not willing to accept them because the minute a part time spot somewhere else does come up, I think they are high risk for moving on.

I also know some parents want part time because grandparents will have the child other days. Even if this family had no issues paying the full enrollment rate, I still wouldn't take them on. I have some of my biggest issues with children in shared care with grandma. Anyway, off track a bit there, but yes I do charge for the whole spot regardless of attendance, but I think that most providers still tend to charge a higher rate per day for part timers and they only pay for what they attend.

Euphoric !
    I charge fulltime rates no matter attendance. I do offer a holiday rate of $25 instead of $30 providing I have 30 days notice. So if I had a family wanting 3 days a week I would get their schedule for the month at the beginning of the month (no switching days after the fact!!), days they are here would be $30, days they are not are $25. They would pay 2 weeks in advance on Friday morning like everyone else.

I think of it as they are still paying for my time and not the food I don't have to provide. They would be charged full rate for all stats though as that is what my contract reads (no holiday discount for stats).

I used to have 2 families that shared a spot. They only paid for the days they attended. I did not offer the holiday discount then. They both paid for stats regardless of whose day it fell on. They also knew that if the other family left that they were responsible for paying fully for the spot if I could not fill it. It was a pain in the butt and I quit doing it

I have part time rates and full time rates. If they are here part time they pay the part time rates all year unless they increase the number of days they in.

If they come 3 days a week then they pay for 3 days a week. if they need a fourth day they pay extra for that day. If they only come 2 days one week, they still pay for all three day. These days are set (same every week). If they need different days per week they have to pay full time rates.

if a client full time or part time leaves before one year (52 weeks) of care they forfeit there deposit. They however don't owe me their tuition fee for the weeks their child is no longer in care. So I don't get paid for the full 52 weeks, unless their child is in my care for the full 52 weeks.

If the child is in my care for 35 weeks I get paid for the 35 weeks plus their deposit.

Care for less then one year (52 weeks) is call temporary care. This can be full time or part time care.

Euphoric !
    There too much competition here to charge part-time client, full time rate. It just would not happen.
    I charge based on days registered. They pay if here or not for days reserved. So Monday-Friday child pay 5 days a week. Part-time child has fixed day, no ability to switch, and pays for number days registered x daily rate, year round. I choose if I take PT or not. Would not for anything less than 4 days week.