Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

Hiring an assistant

Hello,

As a childcare provider, what is your experience hiring and dealing with an assistant (part-time or full-time assistant) ?
    Do you have any tips for interviewing and screening potential assistants ?

Starting to feel at home...
    I interviewed an assistant today, it was my first interview. I have worked with someone in the past but it didn't work out because we didn't see eye to eye. I printed out some interview questions from supportingproviders. com, which helped with behavioral type questions. I.e how do you handle an angry parent, or child that bites etc etc. I found it hard to get to know someone in such a short time to trust them enough to care for my business and my DCK's. I guess this is how parents feel! We have a program in BC called CCRR and they screen subs for crim checks, references, etc etc so that providers just have to call up and get a sub for the day if needed. I have not used it yet but would like feedback from fellow BC Providers out there that have used CCRR subs?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FS2011 For This Useful Post:

I see some assistants and i think this job is good when you do it yourself.

Euphoric !
    In provinces that severely limit the number of children that can be in care and do not allow a larger number if there are more adults there is no financial benefit to hiring an assistant so most don't. I have had a teenager that came and worked for an hour after school. She helped to get kids up from naps and settled at the snack table as I changed them and then helped with them outside to play since they were all so young. She was working off her community service hours and it was a benefit to me because of the extra work involved in doing everything in daycare with my own special needs child so in theory this is what she was hired to do although it was easier for her to dress the others while I got Brianne's special shoes on etc. so it worked for everyone and the kids loved having her come and it was free.

Starting to feel at home...
    My income, with 5 daycare kids, doesn't allow me to hire an assistant for pay. The amount of work compared to the pay just doesn't justify doing so. I like the idea of a hs student working off their community service hours though!
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

SKD Bilingual Child Care Centre is looking for a French/English ECE

Euphoric !
    A dear friend of mine has a granddaughter who loves children and has young nieces and nephews. So I have her come for 4 hours in the mornings on her PD days and every other week in the summer and March break, Christmas break, etc. I pay her $20 for 4 hours which is way under minimum wage, but she has fun and is happy to have a little bit of money. She's only 13 and is a great help with extra eyes and hands and I appreciate her help so much but I am still completely responsible at all times for the children.

I had looked into this and it is illeagal. First of all you need to insure your assistant due to a lawsuit etc. and they need to be hired as employee and proper income tax filled out etc Plus they need to have employee benefits eg. injury just like any other job with you being the employer. Plus you are still legally only able to have 5 kids...so how could you afford it..I couldn't LOL!
    This is with home daycare in Ontario.
    "The laugh of a child is the life of a house"

Hi there! Just wondering if you are still looking for someone?

Outgoing
    Hi. I'm from the lower mainland in B.C. I didn't realize that CCRR checked for all the requirements of a sub. I tried hiring a sub who was recommended by one of my clients. I had tried to get her to ask her dr. to sign a medical clearance form. She said that she wanted to wait until she visited the dr. because it would cost her to have it signed. Never heard from her again. I don't have out-of-schoolers any more so I really can only have5 kids with the age limitations and therefore can't really afford a sub. Also I don't know if I would trust a stranger in my home let alone with my daycare kids. By the way, where are you located?