Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Christmas Party for parents

Do any of you have Christmas party or get together for the parents?

Euphoric !
    I used to do this when I had older kids. What we would do is have a get together quickly after work. The kids and I would make cookies and decorate them and I would put out some other baking, make tea, coffee and punch. It was quick, some parents only stayed a few minutes - just long enough for a coffee and cookie. Most stayed till the last parent arrived and many tried to get away from work a few minutes early to come. The nice thing was it was done before supper, little fuss, little muss and everyone went away happy. Now with so many little ones it just becomes more of a nightmare with the need for bibs, highchairs, sippy cups etc. By after work they all just want to go home for supper and bed.

No. I would never do this.

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't do this either. I avoid socializing with the parents as it makes it awkward to do business with them sometimes.. I will have a little Christmas party for the kids and send home the kids' crafts and gift, but that's it.

Euphoric !
    Every year our family has a Christmas party for family and friends. This year I actually invited the two families that I am currently working with. Don't think they are coming though.

I know some providers do have parties for their parents...I'm not saying it's a horrible idea...I just wouldn't do it...IMO it blurs the line between being friendly and being friends too much to socialize in this manner with your parents...I try to keep a client/ provider relationship as much as possible!

agreed MM and the reason I try not to fraternize with my parent-clients.
    Not the babysitter!

Euphoric !
    I have friends who do ask the parents to join in for Christmas and summer BBQ's. Personally, I had all the parents/grandparents invited for my oldest 2 who graduated in Sept. and that was my first experience with a parent party. I had finger foods and punch and we practiced a show for weeks and had a whole ceremony. I'm willing to do that once a year if I have graduates because I think that is really special and a good way to let everyone have some closure, but there is no way I'm dealing with it any other time of the year. Why? Because I have a boy who is a totally different child when his parents are in his vicinity and I cannot stand it. If that never happens again I may change my mind, but as long as he's here - NO!

So I guess what I am saying is that dropoff and pickup times should give you big clues about the behaviour of the children with their parents and you should weigh your relationships with the families as well.

Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar
    We used to have one too when we had older children...but I agree...now that most of us seem to have only little ones, it makes for a lot of stress for them. They just don't understand the change in routine. Instead we try to have a summer party and invited grads and parents AND Ray's Little Reptiles/Birds. It was a little expensive but even the little kids had a lot of fun. We have stopped doing it now that the Ministry doesn't allow more than 5 children on the premises (because we can never be sure if the parents will show up and older siblings/grads could put us over the 5 children limit). Too bad...it was a really special day.