Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Need advice about sick policy

Hello, I'm wondering how strict are other day home providers regarding kids coming in with a common cold. I have one girl that was brought in with runny nose (which is just common), but she's obviously with cold and everytime everyone else gets sick, including myself.
    I usually allow kids in with a runny nose, since it's just normal during the season, but it's been 3 times in 2 months that she was brought in sick.
    I'm not sure if I should be more strict or just stuck it up.

Any advice?
    Thank you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sladji For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am very strict for certain things. I send kids home for fever (within 24 hours), vomiting, diarrhea and if they are unable to follow the routine. Otherwise, they are allowed to come. Sometimes, parents will complain that their child gets sick because other parents send kids to daycare with colds. However, most parents do it, I don't like it, but if you have a child with 10 colds per year, it can be really hard to take that much time off work/school. So I understand from that perspective. If they can participate, they can come. I have had kids come and be active during the day but still are miserable, can't breathe for being stuffed up and coughing up a lung, but they still come. And I will make the report at the end of the day, "he was miserable because he can't breathe." We go through a lot of Kleenex. I have also arranged for the sick kids to be at the table most of the day, so they aren't playing with all the toys and climbing over the other kids. Playing with table top toys spreads less germs.

You, on the other hand, are free to be as strict as you want to be. My suggestion is to write down what you expect of parents and when they can come or not come. Give it out to everyone and then stick to it yourself. If you want to prevent kids from coming with a cold, be prepared for push-back from parents. And of course there is always the debate of whether its a cold or not. When a child is running around all day, their symptoms may be worse, so the cold seems worse to you but at home, if they are sitting, the symptoms may be better and so not seem like a cold at all to the parents. Colds are tricky. They say there is no cure for the common cold. But of course there is... stay away from other people!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Colds are allowed providing there is no fever and they can actively participate in the day. Colds are just a hazard of the job and some kids take time to build up their immune system

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    yes ....colds are just part of our jobs .....which is a pity but that is just life till their immune system can fight it better

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Nova Scotia has a provincial policy that daycares and registered dayhomes must follow-I just use that. It lists exclusion criteria (like fever, diarrhea, rash, etc) and how long they need to be out for. I allow kids to come with clear runny noses, and just follow them around all day with Kleenex and disinfecting wipes. It's a pain (esp in young ones that mouth toys), but they will get sick, and I just try to stop the spread (because then it's an endless cycle!).

Euphoric !
    I feel I have a pretty detailed sick policy but a common cold is just that, common. At least 1-2x a month I'd have kids home if I didn't allow them here. A runny, clear nose is annoying but allowed. If they can't participate in the day's activities though, I ask they stay home.

Increase the hand washing, disinfect weekly/bi-weekly and clean daily the toys that you see go in mouths. It will really help decrease the illnesses Also, wash bedding regularly as kids tend to drool and get snot everywhere when sleeping haha

Euphoric !
    I not exclude for cold. Live in Canada which is cold climate and people get cold. I think it unreasonable to exclude. But if child have other symptoms like fever, that different maybe sign something else going on.

This just part of job.

I do have clause that child must be well enough for full participate so if child laying around and clearly fell unwell, then I can send home.

Shy
    My policy stipulates that children with coughs and colds may attend provided that there is no fever, nasal secretions are clear, coughs are not persistent and they can participate cheerfully in normal daycare activities. If yellow or green goop is pouring out of their nose or they are constantly hacking, they should be at home recuperating for the child's comfort and the health of the group. I added this clause after I had one child that often got colds so bad, green snot would literally hang from his nose to the floor when he sneezed and the parents continued to bring him. Clearly the child felt quite crappy and miserable, but the parents didn't want to be inconvenienced.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hockey mom For This Useful Post:

Shy
    What if the nose isn't clear, but running very thick yellow? Do you make the child stay home?

Euphoric !
    No but I mention it to the parent. Keep an eye for a fever too