Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sladji View Post
    What if the nose isn't clear, but running very thick yellow? Do you make the child stay home?
    When the nose is running with thick yellow goop or even green it means it is getting better and the child is on the last few days of the flu and it will clear up any day now so thick is good even if it looks so bad LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    When the nose is running with thick yellow goop or even green it means it is getting better and the child is on the last few days of the flu and it will clear up any day now so thick is good even if it looks so bad LOL
    Just curious where you got this info from? Yellow or green represents the presence of infection and in no way indicates whether it is the last few days of infection or the first few. Also, runny nose is actually not a symptom of flu contrary to belief. In many cases a person has the flu with absolutely no cold symptoms and vice versa.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 10-17-2016 at 08:46 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I also am under the understanding yellow or green indicates infection. That being said the one girl I have right now only ever gets yellow/green snot every single time she has a cold. For her it has never been clear ever! It is the strangest thing. I just watch for fever but she never gets one, plays fine and is in a good mood. I have never sent her home

Starting to feel at home...
    "You might have heard that yellow or green mucus is a clear sign that you have an infection, but despite that common misperception, the yellow or green hue isn't due to bacteria.
    When you have a cold, your immune system sends white blood cells called neutrophils rushing to the area. These cells contain a greenish-colored enzyme, and in large numbers they can turn the mucus the same color."

From here: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...t-mucus?page=2

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lemondrop For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Oddly, I notice my guys get the green yellow at tail end of bad cold too without fever. Lots of wiping but fine to be here.

Quote Originally Posted by lemondrop View Post
    "You might have heard that yellow or green mucus is a clear sign that you have an infection, but despite that common misperception, the yellow or green hue isn't due to bacteria.
    When you have a cold, your immune system sends white blood cells called neutrophils rushing to the area. These cells contain a greenish-colored enzyme, and in large numbers they can turn the mucus the same color."

From here: http://www.webmd.com/allergies/featu...t-mucus?page=2
    Yes the yellow or green mucus is as a result of the enzyme not bacteria, but the high amount present is as a result of infection, bacterial or viral. So it is in fact still true that the presence of yellow or green mucus is a sign of infection because it is only when infection is present that the high levels of enzyme are present. No infection, low levels of enzyme = clear mucus.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Shy
    It's exactly what I'm experiencing now. The child came really sick and got me sick too. I don't want to offend the parents, but this is the first time in two years that I had to close (3 x in two months), because she got me sick too
    I'm not sure how to tell the mom without offending her.

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Just curious where you got this info from? Yellow or green represents the presence of infection and in no way indicates whether it is the last few days of infection or the first few. Also, runny nose is actually not a symptom of flu contrary to belief. In many cases a person has the flu with absolutely no cold symptoms and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Oddly, I notice my guys get the green yellow at tail end of bad cold too without fever. Lots of wiping but fine to be here.
    It may be that as they are getting better the sinus arn't as congested, and hats ehy their noses are super runny.