Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Liability insurance help

Hi everyone,
    I need help regarding insurance, currently I have insurance for 5 daycare kids and 1 of my own 11 year old, which makes it a total of 6 kids from TD Insurance Meloche Monnex. I work with an agency, have 3 kids from them and 2 private. I want to take up 6th daycare child, which you are allowed if you work with an agency, however my insurance company would not cover me.
    So I need to find a company who would cover me for 6 daycare kids plus my 11 year old.
    Also, my agency tells me that if I have 3 kids through them I only need insurance for the private tht I have through my home insurance, however I need to tell my insurance the total amount of kids that I have.
    So even though I tell them that 3 are insured through the agency and they would only need to insure the remaining 3 plus my own, they say it doesn't work that way.
    But my agency says that all other providers having 6 kids have no such problem with their insurance!
    Plz guide me as to which company to approach!
    TIA

Outgoing
    Do you have any way of contacting the other providers with your agency? They would be the best to talk to, since they are in the same area and with the same agency.

Thanks Kindertime, I will try to find out about other providers.
    I am located in Milton ontario, if the helps
    Suggestions for insurance companies would be great help!

Quote Originally Posted by happy faces View Post
    Thanks Kindertime, I will try to find out about other providers.
    I am located in Milton ontario, if the helps
    Suggestions for insurance companies would be great help!
    I live in Niagara Region and to my knowledge there isn't an insurance company that will insure more than 5 daycare children. I am with State Farm who insure 5 plus your own. I'd be interested to know if there is a company insuring 6 or if perhaps agency providers your agency are referring to are only disclosing private numbers when contacting insurers.

Hi Bright sparks, I think so too, that these providers with private and agency kids are not disclosing the proper information to the insurance company.However my agency says that they are, coz she has provided the insurance companies of the providers with 6 kids in care,with the insurance details of the kids insured through the agency.
    I am still confused as all the companies I called say that, the doesn't matter even if some kids are insured through the agency, they can still only insure 5.
    Will be contacting more today and update.

Euphoric !
    Your own child is not a daycare child and would be covered under your own house insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Your own child is not a daycare child and would be covered under your own house insurance
    I know many providers who have had this issue. When the insurance company asks you how many children you will be caring for these particular companies will ask how many children you have of your own and if they are additional. I know lots who have said we will insure you for five but not in addition to your own children.

It's not like there is a universal policy. Regardless of what you or I think, they can set their own rules. I think the basis of this decision comes from the more children in ones care, regardless of whose they are, increases the liability so 5 including your own prevents those with multiple children caring for potentially a lot more. This isn't so much an issue now though given Bill 10's restrictions on numbers and ages of children included the providers own.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 10-12-2016 at 09:57 AM.

Expansive...
    why not just ask the agency what is the name of the insurance that the other daycares are using?

Outgoing
    One thing to remember about insurance... and I've said this before, just because you've paid the premiums, doesn't mean you are actually covered. If the insurance company has ANY issue with your claim, they can and will deny it. And then there is really nothing you can do. They don't have to pay out on claims.

If the other providers are paying private insurance to be covered for a couple of kids, but telling the insurance company that they only have those 2 kids, and not a couple more, insured by the agency, then the private insurance company will consider that a fraud on them and not pay out a claim. So, in that case, they are not actually covered, but still paying premiums for the illusion of being covered.

I'll give you an example, if you got the insurance 5 years ago, and at the time, your daycare kids were all over 2yrs old, and you mentioned this in passing to the agent, they could write it down on your policy. And then, five years later, you have an infant in your daycare and then make a claim. They could come back at you saying that you said you didn't have infants and that you made a false statement when you originally set up the policy. I know this is a completely ridiculous example, but it happens. All the time.

Also it is worth remembering that if you aren't compliant with even one small clause of your policy terms, you void all coverage for every child in your care.