Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Ministry Visit for Unlicensed daycare (no report)

I have already called the ministrey of education to varify this vist apparently its a new thing they are doing, but wantedto kow if any other providers have experienced the same.

Im from Ontarioand have five kids including my own two. Also only have 2 under 2. But the other week I was grabbing lunch from my upstairs stve and heard a knoc nthe front door ianswerd it and much tomy surprise the ministry was there to ask ifi a
    Had a daycare on the premises. They showed me id nd letme know r
    That no I have not had any complaints filed agaist me but they were taking providers information that advertized online (this is the only site that I have listings on currently) andgoing outto inform them of the new regulations regarding Bill 10. They asked what ages were of the children in my care and came in to do a head count.

Has anyone else experinced this?

Not yet. But yes they are doing random visits more and more.

Expansive...
    Yes, I've heard of the surprise visits this year. What area are you from jupadia?

Shy
    I'm from North York area of Toronto.

I was very surprised to see them but had no issues. The o ly thing that I had missed in yhe new bill 10 stuff. Was to have in writing and signed by the daycare patents that I am unlicensed. I did get a letter after their vist saying g to do this (they let me know as well) and to email or mail them a letter letting them know that I had complied. I also now added it to my contract for any future parents. I phoned the ministry directly after the vist yo make sure it was not some kind a scam or something. They also let me know before they came in that they were not their to hand out fines but to inform providers of the new bill. But who's to say what they would hzve done if I had not had the correct number of children.

Euphoric !
    We have this in PEI too. Agency affiliated homes referred to in Community Services documents as "regulated" but we have regs for private homes too. They can come in anytime and check we in compliance. It little annoying as the terminology they use suggests private is not regulated but that far from truth.
    I have no issue with the come here. I just wish they would not imply private = unregulated.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by jupadia View Post
    I'm from North York area of Toronto.

I was very surprised to see them but had no issues. The o ly thing that I had missed in yhe new bill 10 stuff. Was to have in writing and signed by the daycare patents that I am unlicensed. I did get a letter after their vist saying g to do this (they let me know as well) and to email or mail them a letter letting them know that I had complied. I also now added it to my contract for any future parents. I phoned the ministry directly after the vist yo make sure it was not some kind a scam or something. They also let me know before they came in that they were not their to hand out fines but to inform providers of the new bill. But who's to say what they would hzve done if I had not had the correct number of children.
    I'm in Newmarket....maybe 30 mins from you. I've not heard of any visits up this way as yet, or in your area for that matter. Guess I should have my stuff at the ready for a pop in. It's bound to happen eventually.

A provider I know in Kingston was visited. She said they had a long list of providers to visit while there and that they'd come from Toronto. They also admitted to using Kijiji and other online advertising to suss out providers.

What I don't understand.....if they're making the rounds and checking in anyway, why can't they afford to give independent licencing and oversight, like other provinces? Why the need for agencies?
    Last edited by cfred; 10-18-2016 at 10:15 AM.

Shy
    That was my thought as well. Instead of having to spend the money on the manpower to look on the Internet for private unlicensed daycare provides then send someone out to random homes. Have us register and then come to us.

Shy
    I'm in Ontario for unlicensed daycares they don't normally come and vist unless a complaint has been filed. It's why we are unlicensed. I had no problems with them stopping by its just the firdt I heard of it.

Outgoing
    Hi, I'm sorry to heard you were surprised. We do not like surprised but it happens. I'm used to this surprise visits. I just make it work on my own benefit. First they leave you a letter with a check mark showing that you are "COMPLIANT " so, even better for me I post that letter at the entrance of my daycare so, parents are reassured.

It is funny to tell this but, since I got licensed through an agency that supposedly doesn't belong to my neighbourhood, the agencies in my neighbourhood keep reporting me. I'm always out with my six kids so. They know me aND they also knew that I was working privately for many years. Now they just assume that I'm doing it illegally. The big surprise is for them. I'm licensed
    I'm sure they're wondering how and with which agency.

I just let the ministry reps. Come in and look around count heads, I usually show my playroom, bathrooms, closets etc. They leave satisfied and I stay in peace. Way before a training I had I used to think, that everything should be in order all should be perfect. But, working with children it is impossible so, the ministry visitors know that. Could be visits during lunch time or snack time or bathroom time, nothing out of this world. So, I just take my time be friendly and it goes fast. The children also over act but it is all part of our work. Do not stress out, it is all part of what we do.

Outgoing
    How do they get all your info, address etc from KIJIJI?