Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Biter

Shy

Biter

I'm so frustrated with my 2 year old son, I have tried everything to stop him from bitting the other kids. I know bitting is normal behaviour on toddlers and he usually bites when someone is trying to take away a toy from his hands ( usually another toddler) but I feel awful and incompetent everytime I had to tell a parent that their kid got bitten... In a good day I'm able to stop him from bitting every single time but days like today I was just right next to him, got distracted and ahhggg! Hopefully this phase is over soon...don't think I can take it for too long.

Expansive...
    I feel for you
    you have to think what would you do if the biter was not your son but someone who was biting your son,.So shadow your son to protect the other children . it sounds as if it is a habit to him , a habit that needs to be broken . I would remove him from the group and let him learn it is not acceptable to bite !! He will cry but I think it is better to have him crying now than prolonging the problem, he will soon learn that when he bites it is not fun for him as the biter and stop.
    Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks Van! For the next couple of weeks I will be by his side the whole time, and if I have to help someone else he will have to come with me or stay in a play pen. This behaviour needs to stop!!

Shy
    Hey as the pp suggested your best off separate the kids when your not directly beside him for now. When I've had a bitter I either stick them in the playyard or the superyard when I leave the room for anything (meal prep or diaper change). THIS way I'm not stressing while out of the room. I'll give my bitter a few toys in their separate area and they do sometimes cry. But i find if they get imiddatly seperste after the incentive each time they stop fast and are soon good to go again. good luck I know it can be a challah to stop.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jupadia For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    the youngest is my group has just turned into a biter overnight so I will be doing all the same things over here too, it is nice to know you are not alone LOL

Shy
    Today he tried to bite 3 times, the 3 times I was right there so I stopped him and said " no bitting" " it hurts" I also asked him to talk and say " no" or " my turn" instead of bitting. Event though he didn't get to bite the other child he still had to go to in a play pen for a couple minutes...no more incidents after quiet time . Still have a couple of weeks to go but at least today was an improvement.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mom123 For This Useful Post:

Van

Expansive...
    it may be even sooner that he stops biting as he now know he has to face the consequences of his actions when he bites so Good for You for being on top of it

Euphoric !
    Exactly how old? 24months or 2.5?

Even at 24 months they are old enough to understand a lot so when you do put him in a playpen tell him why. "i need to put you in the playpen while i am busy making lunch to ensure you don't bite anyone" in time this will start to sink in. If you just plunk him in the playpen he will not receive that message to decide to stop biting on his own.

Obviously this is not enough to fully stop the biting but it will help in time.

Shy
    He will be 2.5 in December. I agree that they understand a lot even when they are only 2 years old. I will remind him everytime he goes into the playpen why he has to be in there.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mom123 View Post
    He will be 2.5 in December. I agree that they understand a lot even when they are only 2 years old. I will remind him every time he goes into the playpen why he has to be in there.
    OK...so at 2.5 he should understand the connect even sooner. You really don't have to be mean about it...just a simple calm "I need to put you in here while I am busy so you don't bite anyone" gives him the info needed to connect that he is now stuck in a play pen while the others are free to play. He should in time use that info to hopefully restrain himself from biting when you start to let him stay out.

After a week or so of putting him in the playpen you can start to try and let him stay out. Talk to him first and tell him you don't want him to miss out on the fun so will let him try and stay out with his friends while you do "X" if he bites while you are busy he will have to go back in the playpen when you are busy and will miss out on the fun. Do something that is really short. Come back and make a big deal about his not having bitten anyone. Do this a bunch of times to praise and reward him. Talk about how he didn't have to miss out on the fun while you were busy because he isn't biting. In time extend how long you are gone for.

Hopefully it rolls out good from there!!

Best of luck...a biting child is so hard on everyone I can only imagine it is even harder when it is YOUR child doing the biting :-( hang in there!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post: