Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Scared of everything

I have a dcg that just turned two. She is scared of everything! Snow, bugs, lint, any kind of noise, etc. Yesterday she got scared because an infant touched her costume. It's becoming frustrating because she'll just start bawling at any time. Then I have to figure out what it is. She's a very good kid, already talks using 4-5 word sentences. Very ahead of her milestone marks in development. It's just being scared all the time that can be frustrating. I show her what's making the noise, usually just toys. Then she's fine. I show her lint, let her play with the snow, but I have to do it every single time. Not sure why she has such anxiety over things like this. Has anyone else experienced a child like this? I'd appreciate some insight and suggestions. I've never come across a child with such issues with being scared at almost everything.

Euphoric !
    Is she sleep deprived? I had a child like that and I am certain it was because she didn't sleep at all at home and she just had zero coping skills because she was so exhausted.

Expansive...
    Yes I had a girl like that scared about everything even after I showed her what was making that sound she was still upset....neigbour's lawnmower, a bird,and she clung to me about everything crying, screaming ......I just had to give her space to learn IT was okay, whatever IT was LOL give her extra time to get use to everything , it will be worth it in the end

Starting to feel at home...
    My own 3 year old went through this. Its really just a phase and its really important to validate their fears because its "real" to them and they don't have the ability to verbalize it hence it coming out via crying etc. Just a little space. And small introductions to the things that frighten them. It works itself out. But I know how trying it can be! Good luck.

Shy
    She sleeps very well. She's not sleep deprived at all. Lately she has become more anxious. She was scared of loud noises which most small kids are. Now it's all noises enemies the noises toys make. She was never scared of them before. Now it's to the point she cries as she see the kids walking to those noise making toys. Doesn't seem fair that they should be played with as most of the toys make a noise of some sort. I show her it's just a toy she seems fine with it then starts crying as the kids play. Everyday seems to bring on a new fear. Not willing to terminate. She's a great kid with great parents. Just at a loss as to why the sudden fear of everything.

Expansive...
    it does sound strange to suddenly be afraid of everything!!
    I hope she calms down soon

Euphoric !
    From what you say (not being overtired etc) I would assume that she is suddenly more aware of her surroundings (noises) but hasn't yet gained the skills to process and filter?

Any chance you can put some of the noisy toys away for a couple weeks so there are less things to set her off so you don't have to spend quite so much time calming? Another tip might be to put a bit of scotch tape over the speakers on the toys to make them a bit quieter.

Sounds like a mix of anxiety and sensory overload. The anxiety if not experienced before may very well be a direct result of the sensory overload. I think it would be worth a trip to the family dr and a referral to a paediatrician.

Expansive...
    I agree with bright sparks! I was wondering about sensory processing issues too. Visit to family doc or screening with an occupational therapist to run a sensory profile would probably identify/rule out such a cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    From what you say (not being overtired etc) I would assume that she is aware of how well Testo-Max works and suddenly more aware of her surroundings (noises) but hasn't yet gained the skills to process and filter?

Any chance you can put some of the noisy toys away for a couple weeks so there are less things to set her off so you don't have to spend quite so much time calming? Another tip might be to put a bit of scotch tape over the speakers on the toys to make them a bit quieter.
    Yeah, it's probably just a phase.
    Last edited by Dandey; 05-04-2022 at 04:03 AM.