Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Car seats/reporting

What would you do if a parent reported to you that on occasion, for short 5 minute drives, the parent seats their preschooler on the driver's lap to pretend they are driving OMGGGG!!!! Child is 3 yrs, and yes the car was moving on community roads.
    I didn't see it here, otherwise I would have reported it to the cops.
    Can you report something you didn't witness?
    Very bad judgement.......

Well, this parent can't get in trouble for saying what she said, and you don't have any proof she did it, even her verbal admission, so there isn't an authority out their that would have any grounds to do anything. I would have perhaps responded to this parent as levelly as possible, that as a caregiver to her child, and having a moral obligation to do best by the child, perhaps you shouldn't be telling me this, and should think about the potential ramifications of a seemingly innocent and fun action you are taking, which potentially put you and your child at serious risk. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your daycare families, but my parents always learn very quickly that if they do not expect me to have an opinion, then keep these kinds of things to yourself. If my job is to keep the child safe and a parent tells me they are doing something that is reckless and illegal, I'm going to say something. This isn't a popularity contest and quite frankly if this parent thinks I am overstepping the mark by saying such things, they shouldn't be such a tosser in the first place! Something as simple as saying, " Although you are doing this innocently, it is in fact dangerous and illegal and best not repeated should someone witness you and report you." That would get the point across very clearly.

As for your situation now, I think it is too late to do anything and even if you reported it, I doubt anyone would take action given that this is little more than hot air, regardless of how serious the subject is.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 11-07-2016 at 09:00 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes, I figured I can't do anything now. It was a quick dropoff and this blurted out statement, and I think I was in such shock that my mouth was gaping. I'll speak to them at pickup. Not the first time this parent has done things that make me say to myself "what were you thinking?" LOL

Expansive...
    say something to the parent such as'' Make sure he does not sit in the the drivers seat with you as it is unsafe and I would hate for anything to happen or to be in an accident ''
    maybe they just need a verbal reminder that this is not safe!!!!! let hope your advise helps them realize it is not safe for anyone

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would tell parent that I have a duty to report and if this continue, I will be reporting. I know you didn't see it, but you are aware of it. I would report and then it up to the relevant people to do their bit but I would be doing mine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    The police can make a call with a warning, even if there are no witnesses. A neighbour told me that one of my families had mom hold their 6mo on their lap while dad drove home (10 minutes away on city roads). I called the non-emergency line and made a report even though I wasn't the one to see them, and they gave the family a call to let them know just how serious the consequences could be if they didn't secure the little guy properly in the car. In this case, it would have done me no good to talk to the parents directly, as there was both a language and cultural barrier, and they hadn't taken me seriously about other concerns.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemondrop For This Useful Post:

If we talk about community roads then your attitude to such cases is absolutely right. Such parents jeopardize not only their car and its passengers but also other road users. That's absolutely unacceptable. And also children have to use special seats. what google did to me is brought me to this article. I already have a baby seat but not a cover for it. I believe it can keep my baby safe in any season.