Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

People need to mind their own business!!

So I had an interesting interaction with a random lady this morning. I go to and from the school everyday for a JK boy I have and have 2 two year olds in the stroller as well. So when I drop off, there is another caregiver (and my best friend) that I meet there too.
    So I was standing chatting with her before leaving and I had this lady come up to me and start spouting off that she sees me talking to her every morning, even when it's cold out (children were dressed warm). She proceeds to tell me that she is going to tell the parents on me, that I have the kids outside without blankets on and I shouldn't be out here talking to another caregiver if it's cold out (it's 5 degrees and sunny)!
    I told her that she should mind her own business and that the kids were fine and actually we were just heading to the park. Also, who is she to tell me who I can and can't speak to? She says that she's going to find out who the parents are and tell on me, lol.

Have you had ever had random members of the public try to make trouble for you for stupid things like this? I was totally taken aback by it!

Shy
    Wow, people are ridiculous these days. I think you handled it well. Let her look them up. My dc parents love that I take the kids outside. We live in Canada, does she want them to hibernate all winter. I had a parent not choose me once because the grandmother saw me walking with the kids to school everyday and didn't want her grandson (3 yrs old) to be out in the cold.( Bubblewrap generation). I have a covered wagon, blankets etc. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with them.

Outgoing
    Wow ! Good on you for standing up to her. Sheesh it's getting scary just breathing... I might just do it wrong. COME ON !!

Expansive...
    Rediculous! My parents love that we go outside to -14 degrees. Today was balmy in comparison!

Outgoing
    Hi. I agree people lately is aware of everything especially us "caregivers", I was visiting a playgroup an a parent did the comented on how some caregivers; arrive to the playgroup with their Coffee and sit and text or Chat. Not Coneccting with their children in care and not guiding them or teaching them, no role modeling. I felt sad, because the parent was taking pictures of these caregivers and mentioned she will post them on social media to discuss about this kind of "quality" care .

It was. Disheartening. Most of us do our best but because of few we keep getting a bad reputation. Seriously? We are in a uncertain situation, do we really need more negativity towards our sector? Fortunately or Unfortunately in our case technology is right on hand. People is able to take pictures in any kind of situation. Even if they decide to show it to parents if it is considered negligence so they can judge it by themselves. So, I would just say to be careful even with how we answer, our reactions to certain situations can speak a lot about our own personality. But at most we are in the role of demonstrating respect for all kinds of opinion.

For someone to tell me that I can't converse with another adult, even when I have the children with me is absurd. The thing is, how did she know that these kids weren't my own or my grandchildren (yes I am old enough to have grandkids). I tell every potential client that we go to the school everyday and go to the park or walk to the library afterwards. The only time we don't do extra outside time is when it's raining or when is super hot or bitter cold out.

I do have a problem with people judging me when daycare parents don't bring the proper winter gear and I have to take them out without it. I remind and remind, but to no avail. And no, I won't keep extra stuff for everyone in case the parents forget because it just lets the parents off the hook because they figure I'll just have something for them to wear. It's their responsibility to bring it, not mine. I had to do it when I was a daycare parent, so they can too.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    Wow ! Good on you for standing up to her. Sheesh it's getting scary just breathing... I might just do it wrong. COME ON !!
    Yes, it's getting ridiculous. I'm so glad that when my boys were young (they're 24 and 15) most parents realized that we all make mistakes and aren't perfect. Now with all the social media and such, it seems like you have to be a perfect parent or caregiver and everyone judges everyone. It's so sad. I think people need to get off their high horse not judge

Expansive...
    WoW!!!!
    It sound like she she has lots of time on her hands !!!
    Now that you are forewarned by her, you need to be careful and watch your back when you are out and about and going to the school. I don't think you have anything to worry about as your clients know that you do this school run every school day so no worries