Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    If a child gets picked up during snack, they will sometimes finish it while us adults chat or I've offered to send it home if it's doable. I've never had any ask for a snack to take home but if they did, I usually have something on hand I could send, if the parent didn't mind. Their daily fee does technically include lunch and 2 snacks so it's not like I'm out anything by sending it.

Outgoing
    Thank you for letting us know 5 little monkeys and other provides, it is funny to explain this but since my attitude is woking in partnership, parents are more open to share matters in their life. And also because my group is so attached they do not want to leave my home so, now I have parents coming with trears to convince them to go back home.��

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    Thank you for letting us know 5 little monkeys and other provides, it is funny to explain this but since my attitude is woking in partnership, parents are more open to share matters in their life. And also because my group is so attached they do not want to leave my home so, now I have parents coming with trears to convince them to go back home.��
    I do not know you or your daycare families, but my first thought is that you would likely be quite surprised at home many of those same children are also being given treats and rewards to leave their house and go to yours in the morning. Children dislike transitions and don't like having to stop what they are doing/playing with to leave. I would lean towards it being poor parenting to bring treats to bribe a child home over the child loving the caregiver so much they don't want to go home with their family. I would NOT judge how strong my relationship with my daycare families is based on the kids needing to be bribed to leave at the end of the day. I WOULD take the time to discuss an exit plan with those parents so both parties are effectively getting the children out of the home without treats.

Almost all daycare children do this at various points (not wanting to go home) and it is a stage during which the parents and caregivers need to remind the child who is in control by telling the child to clean up and go, not by giving treats to bribe them back home!

Again, I do not know your daycare families but I don't view this as a win (at least not for the caregiver or parent, the kid with a treat perhaps!).

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I guess it depends on why. In some cases it may be bribing but in others, it may just be that the child is used to routine, or they may be hungry, or they might not get snacks at home, or they might just want to finish their snack or etc etc etc.

Outgoing
    You're right Lee Bee, children do not like to change their routine or be disrupted when there still things to do. I personally do not think as a "LOVE" for the caregiver. Analizing well I think it is most the "love" they have for each other for every little friend "love" for enjoyment of their activities at the daycare.
    I also do not agree with a bribing a child but, offering a healthy food at any time would it be considered bribing? Parents in my group are very councious about good nutrition and physical activities (we have a nutritionist on board). None of them will come with cookies etc. Especially, when they know that their child will have supper shortly. I have a group of boys and as we know they can be a bit more active they burn a lot energy. The growing process also demands a lot healthy foods. I can not generalize each one is unique some need more food than others. Just like us (adults). Now if I can just get half of their energy will be amazing.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by skanhai101 View Post
    Just had a quick question about snacks. I usually provide the normal two snacks and lunch during the day. However, now that a few of the kids are in school our afternoon snack is usually later in the day. We usually have snack around 4 as we don't usually get back till 3:45 from school pick up. The parents of 2 of the dayhome kids usually arrive around 4:30 but the odd time do show up earlier like around 4 or before. That's not a problem but the kids expect me to make them a snack to take home with them. They get upset if I don't give them a snack to take home with them. Before I started my dayhome my kids went to a dayhome and if we picked up earlier the dayhome provider never provided them with a snack to take home. There parents make it seem like I should put a snack in a bag and give it to them to take home. Is that the norm? Just was wondering what other providers do in that situation. Thanks for your time
    to get back to the OP question on the snack after school for the schoolkids, I would check with the parents to see if that snack after school is okay to give to the child as the children who are picked up early are going home to their dinner and it may be a case of the child would be better to skip the late snack and have his dinner at home or they may be happy as it gives them time to make the dinner but at least you know what the parent felt about it

Shy
    I don't want them to eat anything so i provide healthy food that they can eat, i just allow them every weekend to eat some chips so i can control it.
    Last edited by Lanie Reyes; 05-16-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by skanhai101 View Post
    Just had a quick question about snacks... the kids expect me to make them a snack to take home with them. .. Is that the norm? Just was wondering what other providers do in that situation. Thanks for your time
    No. I provide meals and snack at set time. If child not here for that set time, they not get it. I not provide take-out.

If parents expect this, then it up to you to set them straight. They can pick up after snack time if it that important to them.

Euphoric !
    I only give it to go if they are already eating it and it's transportable .... ... if the parent comes early they just go ... you could always say sorry it's not ready yet .

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    I do not consider it a take out service. It is just Common sense they pay us for snacks and lunch so, I think the child has rights to ask their snack. Unless that day you do not charge for it... If we show kindness to our children they will learn from it
    It not common sense at all! That derogatory statement and inaccurate. They pay a fee for child care. Snacks and lunch are included in those fees as are all other costs like sunscreen, crafts, toilet flushing.

If a child not here at snack time, they not get a snack and they not get to take it home. This exactly same for diapered child not flushing toilet - I do not give parent bucket of water at end of day because their fee included increased water that their child not use. Likewise, if it rainy day. I do not squirt out sunscreen in parent hand for them take home because child not use it that day. As you can see, it actually far from common-sense to hand over any aspect that factored into fees when not used. Unless someone breaking down fees so child care has one cost and meals optional and paid for as additional service, it make no sense at all. And if this how you run business, if child having hungry day and gets second snack, do you then present bill for the extra food that day?

Kindness is nothing do with it. Kindness have many faces and shown in many activities. Giving a snack to a child who not there at scheduled times is way down the list of random acts of kindness.