Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Providing a take home snack

Just had a quick question about snacks. I usually provide the normal two snacks and lunch during the day. However, now that a few of the kids are in school our afternoon snack is usually later in the day. We usually have snack around 4 as we don't usually get back till 3:45 from school pick up. The parents of 2 of the dayhome kids usually arrive around 4:30 but the odd time do show up earlier like around 4 or before. That's not a problem but the kids expect me to make them a snack to take home with them. They get upset if I don't give them a snack to take home with them. Before I started my dayhome my kids went to a dayhome and if we picked up earlier the dayhome provider never provided them with a snack to take home. There parents make it seem like I should put a snack in a bag and give it to them to take home. Is that the norm? Just was wondering what other providers do in that situation. Thanks for your time

Starting to feel at home...
    If I've just served a snack, or if they helped bake something, I'd send it home with them. If a parent comes early and snack isn't laid out, they just leave. Not my problem-that's on the parent to either come later or make a snack at home... This was happening with one boy where the shiftwork parent would come during nap time *grr* so I told them pick up after 3:30 so that everyone is up and snack is served.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Personally, I wouldn't make much issue of it. Once the children have a routine they expect their snack. It's just like us (adults) we have our meals routines we expect to eat at the same time, poor dears, they do not have control wether their parents come earlier or not. What I do is explain this to their parents so they have the choise of bringing snacks and go, or wait until snack time is over or wait while I get their child's snack ready to go, my goodness a child smile is priceless. Parents go happy so the child and I feel I did my good work which is also priceless. I had parents that had to take the bus so I'll make sure their child's snack is ready to go.

Euphoric !
    If child not here for a meal, they not get it. I not offer take out service.

Shy
    I would give them the take home snack, if you don't the child will complain to the parents about coming early and then the parents won't do it anymore. I don't know about you, but I like it when parents show up early.

Outgoing
    I do not consider it a take out service. It is just Common sense they pay us for snacks and lunch so, I think the child has rights to ask their snack. Unless that day you do not charge for it. Try keep in your fridge few yogurts and few crackers just something easy to reach. That won't hurt. Or half apple or banana and crackers. You're a mom just think how would you feel if it is you who has to go somewhere early and your child is unhappy or hungry. It is a partnership we do need to help each other. You help the parents and they will help you. Kindness is always welcomed. I had cases that parents after all will show up with a big box of fish crackers as a thank you or a bag of fruit just because a generous gesture. If we show kindness to our children they will learn from it.:

Outgoing
    My daycare parents know what time my snack is and their child needs to be here to receive it. I am however flexible if they tell me IN ADVANCE they will be late in the am or early in the afternoon I can then make sure the child gets a snack. However none of them feels entitled to a snack if they are early or late and I would not continue to offer some sort of take home snack on a regular basis. Sometimes we have yogurt or fruit salad and I'm not sending my containers out and I'm not changing my meals either. I did send a child home with unfinished snack sometimes when a parent arrived early unexpectedly and if that was not possible then I would say I'm sorry he did not get to finish his snack he might be hungry when he gets home. It's never been an issue here.

Starting to feel at home...
    Strange. I've never had anyone (kids or parents) except a take-home snack. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to provide one. Parents know what time I serve a snack so they should understand that if they come before that time, the child may miss out on that snack. That being said, if a child was in the middle of eating and it was something that was easy to take with them, then I would certainly send it along.

Outgoing
    I know my case sounds strange, I was also surprised with big pots of beautiful flowers when one of my little ones picked flowers from my garden to give it to mom. Or I was also surprised when moms new I was buying dollar store fleece mittens so everyone gets to enjoy the day, they decided to buy even many more and socks and scarves. We created a little caring group. They are also looking for sales to help out. It just works wonderfully.

I know a snack situation is a bit complex some.children are happy to see their parents and they do not even mention it, they just want to go home, and some children they like their routine or they will be frustrated. As they pay I try to keep in my fridge always a go snack just in case and if I have not used it is a bonus friday snack:yes

Expansive...
    I don't give snacks to go and I would not like it if the children expected it