Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

11 month old not taking bottle

I had a 11 month old start on November 1st (well, he turned 11 mos last week). He seems to be adjusting fairly well except for the fact that he will not take a bottle from me. He might drink half an oz, but then he spits it out and I can't get him to take more. I've tried giving it to him right after his nap where it's quiet and he's happy and away from the other children. Still nothing. I've tried sippy cups and different types of bottles. He won't take water either. He will eat some lunch and snack, but not drink. I don't want this kid to get dehydrated in my care! When mum arrives he drinks six oz from her. I'm hoping in time he will trust me enough to take a bottle... Any advice would be appreciated!

Euphoric !
    Was he exclusively breast fed before daycare? Some parents don't teach BF child to drink from sippy or bottle and it hard then in daycare. They not know how do it.

Shy
    No. He's been bottle fed all along...

Shy
    This happened to me years ago when I was a teenager. Baby refused to take bottle for me but drank a full eight ounces for mom. In my case I was a skinny little thing and mom was heavy, when mom fed her the bottle she was up on top of moms belly, and I had her down on my lap. I held her up at my chest level and she happily drank the full bottle.

Starting to feel at home...
    Unless the parents insist on it, I might be inclined to give up on the bottle and keep working on the sippy cup. Have you tried different types of sippy cups? Perhaps she would be more likely to use one over another (for example one with a straw). In the meantime, serve meals and snacks with a high water content (watermelon, cucumbers, soups, popsicles, jello, strawberries, etc.) to keep her hydrated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaL For This Useful Post:

JKR

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm having the same issue. New 11 month old, bottle fed on formula, won't take bottle for me (except an odd oz). This one also won't self feed solids. I've had some success with a soft spout sippy (Nuk learner), and I hope to move to a rimmed cup (like wow cup) next. I've also gotten the Mom to give a full bottle at home in the morning.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

JKR

Euphoric !
    I would look at the bottle temp. Some kids are VERY set on having it a certain temperature.

It is really positive that the child is eating some food. If the child was truly stressed they wouldn't be doing that. So for what ever reason the child just isn't accepting the bottle. At that age I wouldn't worry that much. Keep mom informed and they can make up for it on their time. Just keep serving food and attempting liquids from a cup.

I suspect you just aren't "doing it right" in the child's mind. It isn't the right temp, in the wrong room, holding her the wrong way etc. He is old enough not to starve himself. Since you'd be soon starting to wean off the bottle I don't think it is worth the time and effort to figure out the right combination of factors to get him to take a bottle. Try a few different style cups and offer that at meals and throughout the day. It might take a while, especially if the child doesn't drink much form a cup at home. But in time the child will drink.

Serve foods with high water content and ensure mom knows to provide plenty of liquids at home. A truly dehydrated child will drink so I wouldn't worry about the child being dehydrated. BUT ensure mom is aware she needs to be providing extra fluids at home.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

JKR

Expansive...
    I have a 12 month old who sometimes takes his bottle from me sometimes he doesn't, I know it will improve in time and can't rush these things but I do check with Mom to see how she does it and wheat temp etc. Good luck

Shy
    We started with a sippy cup, then mum thought we should go back to a bottle. That didn't work, so now mum wants to go back to sippy cup. Mum is fully aware and brings milk at pick up. I know he will eventually drink here, I just don't want mum to stress. I keep telling her it will just take time. Thanks everyone!!