Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Outgoing
    I guess I should have been keeping better track of my mileage last year. I thought it was just for daycare trips only, which rarely happens. If you keep track based on the distance from home, and then go to 2 or 3 stores in one trip, do you have a way for keeping track of that?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    If you keep track based on the distance from home, and then go to 2 or 3 stores in one trip, do you have a way for keeping track of that?
    I suppose you could just keep a little note pad in the glove compartment and so if you make a trip to several stores then you have a total business mileage for errands that day.

Euphoric !
    If you are not claiming mileage then you are missing out on so much.
    I have made a spreadsheet that I keep track of all my receipts in. I have it like this:
    So under Grocery (50% deduction) I have headings as follows: Store, KM's driven, Amount. I just do a total at the bottom for km's and amount. I then have the other receipts for 100% daycare (groceries that I know were completely daycare, office supplies, crafts, toys). I do the same (store, km's driven, total of receipt, total deduction - I sometimes buy other things that are not 100% daycare so I separate totals here). I then total this section and give totals to my accountant.

If I go to 2 stores on one trip then so be it. I still claim full mileage for both but it usually doesn't happen often.

Euphoric !
    You can even buy a little book at staples that is for recording mileage. You get in the habit of writing it down and recording. You start with the mileage in your driveway and then everytime you get home you write it down again as the new starting point and record if that was personal or daycare. Another way to do it if you have a trip counter is to set it as you leave on daycare trip and write down the total when you get home. Those numbers added up over the year compared to the total driven which you will record on Jan 1 and Dec 31 determines the percentage use of vehicle.

Outgoing
    I am not into claiming km's for trips to dollarama for craft supplies...it's 7 min away from my house....that's what would prob invite an audit....seriously.. ..what kind of a write off would we be talking here...PENNIES

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    I am not into claiming km's for trips to dollarama for craft supplies...it's 7 min away from my house....that's what would prob invite an audit....seriously.. ..what kind of a write off would we be talking here...PENNIES
    My stores are primarily minutes a way but it's not pennies, it's thousands of dollars. Seriously, you are missing out.

If you do 10,000 kms a year and 1,000 of that is day care related you can claim 10% of your entire car costs.
    So your Dollarama is 7 mins away, depending on traffic, that's likely 5kms. If you go there and back once a week, that's 520 kms to Dollarama.
    You also buy groceries. If your grocery store is as close to you as your Dollarama is, that's another 520 kms a year. Already you can see that's over 1,000 kms. Add in bank trips, Walmart trips, and other running around, I bet at a very minimum 10-15% of your mileage can be claimed for business.

So, over the year you spend $1,500 on gas. 15% of that is $225.00 straight off your income level before tax. If your insurance is another $800 a year, 15% of that is $120. Two basic services a year with no work required is going to be another $200 so you get $30 back. Winter tires at $1600 means you claim back $240.00. License plates get renewed every two years here in NS and that costs me around $340.00 so 15% of that is $51.

It adds up. For 2014 I can deduct just under $2,000 for my car due to tracking my KMs and applying that business % of travel to all my car related costs. I don't have a car repayment as mine is paid for but if you have financing on your car, you can also claim your percentage off the payment interest, I believe.

You might think $2,000 is pennies, but I don't.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Hi Rachel....I forgot to mention....3/4 of the time I go to these stores, I use my husband's company car....so doesn't cost me anything.....so I don't use my personal car very much

Euphoric !
    I am organized with my business expenses and such but claiming the car, gas and Km's has always been my weakness...I don't know why!!! Lol. I've just never cared much about them and I know I don't claim as much as I could be

This year I want to use a better way to keep track. (Pretty sure i said that last year too!!) I ended up with only 2 today so that will be my goal for today....getting a spreadsheet ready to keep track!!

I claim Km's if it's a trip that I buy anything for dc, even if I buy personal things....is that correct?

I have been audited but they audited a specific area not my entire taxes. It wasn't daycare related either. I claimed a few thousand dollars for medical expenses, 2 years in a row so a red flag was raised for me to submit proof that I actually incurred these costs where I had to upload every single medical receipt and be sure they included service provider and licensing info.

As for food expenses, I just wanted to clarify that I have been told that up to $10 is considered a fair amount without raising flags. That is not a cap. It costs what it costs and should a provider actually spend $20 a day per child(which clearly wouldn't happen), they could still claim that because it was a genuine expense and as long as there is proof to back it up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I am organized with my business expenses and such but claiming the car, gas and Km's has always been my weakness...I don't know why!!! Lol. I've just never cared much about them and I know I don't claim as much as I could be

This year I want to use a better way to keep track. (Pretty sure i said that last year too!!) I ended up with only 2 today so that will be my goal for today....getting a spreadsheet ready to keep track!!

I claim Km's if it's a trip that I buy anything for dc, even if I buy personal things....is that correct?
    This was my area of weakness too, and I got a right old telling off from my new accountant last time I filed because of consistent empty boxes on my spreadsheet for this kind of thing. My vehicle is solely for daycare which makes it easier for the most part with mileage, but I never keep receipts for maintenance which I know I can claim. Hopefully this year when I claim that area will be a bit better. It is the first vehicle I have leased versus purchased outright or financed so I'm not sure how that works with my monthly payment but we will see.