Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I claim Km's if it's a trip that I buy anything for dc, even if I buy personal things....is that correct?
    Yep. If you can prove you made the trip, claim it. So every receipt, every deposit.

I've only claimed the car costs in the last two years. All prior years I didn't bother but wow, it adds up. As said, for me, my kids are teens now and so my oldest has his own car, my youngest has friends who will drive so other than the odd instance of Mum's taxi for parties etc., my mileage is primarily household errands. Groceries, bank, gas.

Since I can go into town and get my stuff done with day care errands, I can write off a lot of the expenses of having a car.
    Last edited by Rachael; 01-12-2015 at 09:27 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachael For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    This was my area of weakness too, and I got a right old telling off from my new accountant last time I filed because of consistent empty boxes on my spreadsheet for this kind of thing. My vehicle is solely for daycare which makes it easier for the most part with mileage, but I never keep receipts for maintenance which I know I can claim. Hopefully this year when I claim that area will be a bit better. It is the first vehicle I have leased versus purchased outright or financed so I'm not sure how that works with my monthly payment but we will see.
    Lol, mine tells me the same thing too!! We are mortgage free so I need to find other areas to increase my deductions because I can't claim the interest on that loan. I've done a lot better in other areas this year (groceries and redid playroom so bought new shelves, matts, tots etc) but the car stuff is still my weakness!! I just have to get better at it! I keep all the maintenance receipts and claim the interest on the car loan etc but it's the damn Km's that I'm bad at lol I track some but not all
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 01-12-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Outgoing
    If you come up with a good system, please share. I am usually so excited to make a new spreadsheet, so this should be something I'm good at. Especially since everyone else has already explained how their systems work. However, it seems like I've hit a mental block, and can't get started. I think I ran into the same problem last January, and never solved it.

Euphoric !
    I'm very old school.....I will type it up with headlines but than enter the figures in with pen every trip and than add up at the end of year. lol Now just to remember to do this after every trip!!

My headlines will be "Date", "Store", "Km's" (for the km's driven to other places that I don't have pre-measured) "Amount" and than the category it falls under....grocery, toys, car maintenance, field trip etc.

I hope that makes sense...I'm a visualizer so it's hard for me to describe!! haha

Euphoric !
    I don't understand why people wouldn't claim everything you can! it may seem like just a little but like Rachel said it can be thousands!! I want to keep my money as opposed to giving it to the government.

Superfun- I do the same as 5LM although I do my spreadsheet on my computer. I separate mine already though into a grocery category and a 2nd category for the 100% daycare expenses. I don't fill in km's until the end of the year. I know superstore is ___ km's so every superstore entry gets the same km's.

Outgoing
    Does your 100% daycare get sorted into different types of purchases? Gifts, crafts, etc? What do you do with big things like a new shelving system?

Euphoric !
    nope I leave everything that is 100% daycare into just the one section. I do however put a description beside it for example - art supplies, office supplies, groceries (that I know were 100% daycare), toys, outings. - anything I buy strictly for daycare. I sort everything by date.

As for a shelving system I would consider that 100% daycare. I make a separate section for capital costs. For that I have claimed a new fridge, computer. We just purchased an ipad which I will likely use under capital costs.

I have another section for home repairs. We just redid the whole entire daycare space and my accountant said to put 2 sections in my home repairs this year - one section for daycare space and one section for other household repairs.

My next section is vehicle repairs and expenses.

Euphoric !
    When I go shopping, I separate my orders and pay 2-4x lol. Groceries, 100% dc stuff, things I can't claim, car things, Reno things etc. It makes the receipts easy and I don't have to figure out the taxes and such. Than I come home enter them where they need to go

Outgoing
    Just wondering....there isn't a daycare opening on this site within 10 km of my home that charges less than $40.00 per day....so...here's my question....that's a $50,000.00 income year....how much would one put aside to cover taxes with double CPP for this kind of income....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Just wondering....there isn't a daycare opening on this site within 10 km of my home that charges less than $40.00 per day....so...here's my question....that's a $50,000.00 income year....how much would one put aside to cover taxes with double CPP for this kind of income....anyone?
    What do you mean by double CPP?