Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Daycare Christmas Celebrations

Morning folks...

My Daycare Christmas Party is coming up this Sunday and it has been a really different experience from previous years. I used to rent out the OEYC but they are no longer accepting private rentals. It was a blessing because the whole place was kitted out with toys of every nature. I literally turned up with food, had full use of the big kitchen and made arrangements for a Santa to come and visit. This year I also found out that my Santa has retired so I have had the task of finding another one who isn't ridiculously expensive and/or looks like they belong on a wanted poster.

So I have rented out a function room at a local town facility. I have use of the onsite kitchen also. I eventually found a Santa who I feel pretty good about too. I've had to put a lot more time and effort into planning activities to keep the kids entertained.

I bought a 5 ft cardboard house for them to decorate with their families. I have paint dabbers, crayola products aswell as tinsel, battery operated lights, stick on decals and all number of decorations to stick to the house. It is also big enough for the kids to go in and out of.

I have a hopscotch rug and bean bags.

Cinnamon scented play dough which I will make similarly to salt dough. We will make decorations from it and they will be sent home a few days later.

I always make reindeer food with them. I fill my sand and water table with a mix of coloured sugar and rolled oats. I have little pots and spoons so they can fill and dump and when they are finished they put the lid on and decorate with stickers. They sprinkle this out as an annual tradition on their front yard for the reindeer on Xmas Eve.

I also have some huge jumbo colouring pads and crayons.

I also take a big rocking chair that I decorate for Santa and my own kids are going to set up an artificial tree and decorate it so when Santa visits there is a nice backdrop for photographs.

Food this year I have been far less ambitious due in part to the extra work involved in activities. Meatballs, puff pastry appetisers, veggie and meat, kale salad, blt pasta salad, ham and cheese sliders, veggie tray, stuffed mushrooms and leek and potato salad. One of my daycare parents is a wicked baker and is on maternity leave. She asked if she could help so she is making ginger cookies which will be half dipped in white chocolate and then covered with sprinkles. Also shortbread bites and Christmas tree cupcakes. I am also making a winter fruit salad.

I can't tell you how much I love to entertain so this really isn't any trouble for me. I love doing it outside of the home as it means that more of the adult family members and extended family are able to attend and see the kids in a way they may not often get to see. Also the house decorating activity is a great opportunity for parents and grandparents to actually play with their children.

I went to the book outlet last weekend and really lucked out by getting in on a one day $1 book sale. I always buy special books as the gifts from Santa. It cost me a whole $1 per kid. I love a good bargain!

I don't typically do my Xmas party this early which has thrown me off a little but in some ways it will probably be good to get it over and done with earlier so I can have all of my December weekends for family stuff.

During December in my daycare I have lots of activities planned. I plan my activities in September and place an order on line for all my crafting needs. We are decorating paper mache gingerbread ornaments, making jingle bell reindeer decorations, pasta wreaths, pom pom xmas trees and more. Every year I cut out a huge Xmas tree from green poster board for each child and stick them to the wall. Each day they add another decoration to the tree and then it goes home on the last day of care. I have a felt Xmas tree with decorations, a small artificial tree with small baubles for them to decorate over and over...a great fine motor activity, and I have a Xmas treasure basket which is full of Santa hats and plastic baubles. I also go to the library and take out enough books for 1 a day xmas story time. I wrap them up and each day the kids take it in turns unwrapping a book and we read it as a group. For Family Xmas gifts I have DIY picture snowglobes. I have 2 sets of siblings so needed to purchase less globes which saved me money, and I will wrap them up as gifts for the parents.

I am off from Dec 23rd to Jan 2nd included. I usually take the whole school break off but in 2017 I have quite a bit of time off planned in March, the Summer and October in addition to my usual Xmas time off so I opted for a shorter break.

Do other providers have plans? Parties, activities, outings? I'm a little nuts for this time of year, can you tell?!? lol I love arts and crafts and I have an amazing group right now so can't wait to get started on all of my plans on Monday!!

Shy
    Wow! Do I feel inferior. lol. Good for you, you sound like you run a fabulous daycare. I hope your families know how lucky they are. I'm finding it hard to get motivated for crafts right now as two of my three preschoolers (19 mths and 23mths) just put everything in their mouths, or throw it on the floor. The 2.5 yr old likes simple crafts, but has a very short attention span. My 2 schoolagers (6 and 4) love crafts, but things are too crazy after school as they always want help. I might just wait for after Christmas, when they're here full days and we can craft at nap time. I would never want to give up a weekend day for daycare, but I also don't take holidays so maybe that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Wow! Do I feel inferior. lol. Good for you, you sound like you run a fabulous daycare. I hope your families know how lucky they are. I'm finding it hard to get motivated for crafts right now as two of my three preschoolers (19 mths and 23mths) just put everything in their mouths, or throw it on the floor. The 2.5 yr old likes simple crafts, but has a very short attention span. My 2 schoolagers (6 and 4) love crafts, but things are too crazy after school as they always want help. I might just wait for after Christmas, when they're here full days and we can craft at nap time. I would never want to give up a weekend day for daycare, but I also don't take holidays so maybe that's why.
    The Party is 3-6 so its not a full day. Yes lots of prep work, but I take incredible joy in seeing the families enjoy themselves and to some extent it is just part of the job. There are many evenings and weekends that are dedicated to daycare. Meal prepping, activity planning, interviewing and following up on behaviour plans with families. This is just another of those things. If I felt like I was giving up something then I for sure wouldn't do it. Also I know a lot of providers have young children. Mine are teenagers and so it's not like they are as depndent on me the same way little ones are which would for sure make things a little more difficult. My kids have already decided for themselves what they are doing. My daughter is putting together the veggie tray from scratch, cheaper than a bought one, and my son is going to pack up the cars with my husband of all the gear we need. Once at the rental hall my daughter is putting up the artificial tree and decorating it with the daughter of a daycare mum who is coming early with all the baked goods, and my son will be helping to set up lots of the activities and set out chairs. I get to spend time with my family at the same time too and they also contribute. Myh husband and kids are always at these parties and I really do enjoy them.

I've had my fair share of awful times during my career in daycare. My last group were honestly such a handful. We literally never did crafts and it was such a shame but I wasn't going to stress myself over it. When I have a group who don't like crafts or are hardwork to do crafts, I tend to go for sensory and maliable play instead. Even the crafts are really about the process for the child. Keepsakes are of course nice, but the kids can still get the same out of sensory activities that can be easily themed without actually crafting. What I would do with the mouthers is give them some of the dry craft supplies to play with in a highchair on the tray. No glue or anything and if things get chewed up a little it isn't the end of the world. That way they are having some kind of sensory experience, they are contained and involved, all the while I can get on with more specific crafts with those able to work independently and amicably with some assistance from me. Eventually those younger ones can come out of the high chairs and join in. That being said, as an after thought, those ages I would likely discipline. They shouldn't be mouthing and while I understand picking your battles and avoiding certain activities, I would probably be inclined to have them at my level with a sensory activity which didn't involve anything wet for any child and be on their case constantly with No's and corrections everytime they go to mouth to teach them that this is unacceptable behaviour.

Euphoric !
    That sounds really fun!! I've considered doing a big party like this but then feel like I'd have to do it every year and I'm bad with commitments like that LOL.

From now until Xmas we will do lots of art and activities themed with Xmas. Starting Dec 1 they get to open one book per day for storytime. The last day we're all here before Xmas is our big party at daycare, the 23rd. I've got gifts for them all that we open in the morning. They can then play with those if they want. We will do games like pie face, bob for candy canes, etc and have special food all day and likely a movie and snacks.

The first week Of Xmas break I've only got one child and then the next week, I've only got 2. I had 3 children who aged out this Fall for school so I'm thinking I will invite them over one day and we will go to our local playtime (inside play structures) and out for lunch. I really miss them as I had them since they were 1 and 3 years old. The 2 that I have that week also miss them as they were a group together for 2 years

Euphoric !
    My 2 daycare boy's mom has decided that since she was traumatized when she found out the truth about santa that they will not "do the whole santa thing" with their kids. They will still have a tree and presents but no santa.

I let her know that I can keep our activities related to christmas and not santa, but that my daughter is 3.5 and already talking about santa and I can't control that.

I also made the mental note that come next year I will no longer be able to care for this family's children because they will then be old enough to ruin it for everyone else. Love the kids and the family is great to work with...but this is a deal breaker!

I also made the mental note that come next year I will no longer be able to care for this family's children because they will then be old enough to ruin it for everyone else. Love the kids and the family is great to work with...but this is a deal breaker!
    Yes, no kidding Lee-Bee.It is hard enough when older kids stop believing and keeping the magic alive for the little ones, but at least for the most part then you can explain to the big kids and have them keep the secret too. This would for sure be a deal breaker for me too. Not because I don't respect the parents choice, but because it is so difficult to keep it from spoiling things for others, especially in this age group.

Expansive...
    Thank you Bright sparks, Now I am really in the Christmas Holiday Mood and I love all your ideas

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Yes, no kidding Lee-Bee.It is hard enough when older kids stop believing and keeping the magic alive for the little ones, but at least for the most part then you can explain to the big kids and have them keep the secret too. This would for sure be a deal breaker for me too. Not because I don't respect the parents choice, but because it is so difficult to keep it from spoiling things for others, especially in this age group.
    Yes. When the children are a bit older they can better understand it, and we as adults can explain that it is about the magic of believing. There was an article in the paper today noting how lying about santa can undermine trust between parent and children.

I can't help but feel this is only if the adults handle it in the wrong way. It can easily be explained in a manner than doesn't undermine the trust, in a way that doesn't leave kids traumatized for life. I remember continuing to choose to believe years after I truly knew. Because believing was more fun. I find every year I have to carefully word my conversations to my husband about santa and gifts because I often can't quite tell if he has figured it out just yet. He lives for the magic of santa.

Outgoing
    Hi. What a great ideas. Wonderful organizing. In my case sad to say. I'm very selfish with my time. I used to do celebrations etc. But it started to become stressful, my family felt obligated. So, after reading few self-development books I've got it. I had to be honest with my self my expectations and my family. When I asked them if they felt okay with it, they said not! they did it just to keep me happy (so, I realized I was using them on my own benefit). When I asked them what they wanted to do for holidays, they replied that most of the year I'm always busy (shopping and cooking wekends, going to workshops evenings and some weekends, also programing for the daycare activities etc) they admitted they.do love me but, they want to see more of my time shared with them (just family). So, I stopped. Now we have no more stress and I can actually enjoy my free days in reflection and giving more of my time to my family (cooking something especial together, visiting a new restaurant, helping my children to find especial gifts for their friends etc) and most of all mom is at home to share her time with them.

I felt sad that even my husband had the.same feelings. But, I had to let them know that my work is a path in my life that I've chosen and I love it but, my family had not done that choice so, now obviously I do not book their time in my daycare activities. If I do something will be just me or the children's parents too.

All my families.in care also know if I really really need help my family will get involved right away. (They've got my back)

In regards of Santa Claus, I've also believed on him until I was seven years old. And that explained on how every year I will expect for great gifts to come but it never did and yet cousins and neighbours disregards their awful behaviors will get many many gifts. I kind of asked with Santa didn't love me. I think I would have under stood better if I was told the truth then.

Anyway, taking some.courses and as a Montessori follower, please take the advise if needed; it is nice to give the message of "love and peace" during these holidays. Our function as educators is to be sensitive to every family needs and believes, we love children and respect all their backgrounds. It is also good to show children that not everyone celebrates Christmas and it is okay. We need to teach children to be sensitive with other's believes too. Children love when we explain other's believes such Hanukkah, Chinese new year etc. We live in a such wonderful country that everyone is free to express their believes and be respected.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    Hi. What a great ideas. Wonderful organizing. In my case sad to say. I'm very selfish with my time. I used to do celebrations etc. But it started to become stressful, my family felt obligated. So, after reading few self-development books I've got it. I had to be honest with my self my expectations and my family. When I asked them if they felt okay with it, they said not! they did it just to keep me happy (so, I realized I was using them on my own benefit). When I asked them what they wanted to do for holidays, they replied that most of the year I'm always busy (shopping and cooking wekends, going to workshops evenings and some weekends, also programing for the daycare activities etc) they admitted they.do love me but, they want to see more of my time shared with them (just family). So, I stopped. Now we have no more stress and I can actually enjoy my free days in reflection and giving more of my time to my family (cooking something especial together, visiting a new restaurant, helping my children to find especial gifts for their friends etc) and most of all mom is at home to share her time with them.

I felt sad that even my husband had the.same feelings. But, I had to let them know that my work is a path in my life that I've chosen and I love it but, my family had not done that choice so, now obviously I do not book their time in my daycare activities. If I do something will be just me or the children's parents too.

All my families.in care also know if I really really need help my family will get involved right away. (They've got my back)

In regards of Santa Claus, I've also believed on him until I was seven years old. And that explained on how every year I will expect for great gifts to come but it never did and yet cousins and neighbours disregards their awful behaviors will get many many gifts. I kind of asked with Santa didn't love me. I think I would have under stood better if I was told the truth then.

Anyway, taking some.courses and as a Montessori follower, please take the advise if needed; it is nice to give the message of "love and peace" during these holidays. Our function as educators is to be sensitive to every family needs and believes, we love children and respect all their backgrounds. It is also good to show children that not everyone celebrates Christmas and it is okay. We need to teach children to be sensitive with other's believes too. Children love when we explain other's believes such Hanukkah, Chinese new year etc. We live in a such wonderful country that everyone is free to express their believes and be respected.
    I remember reading an article in the news a few years back written by a mom. She merely asked that all parents give their children 1-2 gifts from santa and make the rest from them. This way santa is equal to all, yes some children will still receive an excess of gifts at Christmas but they won't receive it with the pretense that santa gives lots to some and none to others. It was a very well written article and we keep it in mind while distributing gifts each year.