Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Non Payment Issue

Help! I have never encountered this so not entirely sure what to do. I have a new family (this is their second month) and they have not paid the full amount for October. I always send out a friendly reminder to families a few days prior to payment being due on the 1st. The mom requested if they could pay a bit later (on the 7th) and after checking my finances we agreed that would be fine for this month. She paid most of the amount due yesterday but still owes me part. She acknowledged it needed to be dealt with. Said she needed to put more cash into the account and would do so the next day. But now today is nearly passed and nothing. I have sent another reminder earlier this evening and no response.

I know money issues should not be uncomfortable. But I hate hounding when she is obviously aware the payment is due.

What would/do you do?!?!?!?! I'm lost.

Euphoric !
    You've already sent a reminder so I think now you have to wait. Should it happen again, along with reminder state firmly that you already given extension in time and partial payment was not option with late payment.

Do you have late payment fee? I charge $10 a day for late payment. It deters most for sure. I would also deny care on Tuesday morning if account not settled. It amazing how quick they find money when they realize you not working for free and they need get to their job.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Yes, what Suzie said. I don't accept children into care if the parents have not paid in full.

Expansive...
    I agree with the above posters. No pay, no stay. My late payment fee is $40 a day, so definitely a deterrant.

Expansive...
    It may a case 0f her just going back to work and she won't get paid until the 15th and it is her first month back and money is short but it will not be a problem other months so it is best to talk to her to find out why is the money late and you decide then

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    It may a case 0f her just going back to work and she won't get paid until the 15th and it is her first month back and money is short but it will not be a problem other months so it is best to talk to her to find out why is the money late and you decide then
    Although understand this, I do not accept it. In adulting world, you sign up for service, you pay for service and being short of funds whatever reason, is not permission pay child care late. Pay power late, cell phone late, mortgage/rent late, but not me.

Late payment/short pay transfer her financial issue onto you. Unless she make arrangement with you when signing (not something I ever agree to) then failure to pay is not option.

It comes down to having a contract of all your policies, whether for payment or anything else and then as a provider/business person, upholding the signed contract. Does your contract state that you are flexible on payment due dates? If not then do not stand for it. If you are flexible once then it will be an ongoing problem for sure. If you want parents to follow the contract, then you have to enforce it. We live and learn.

Thanks everyone! Got the payment sorted for that month but she is back at it again. After the last time I explained that that was a one time deal. I do not give extensions on a normal basis. I copied and pasted the clause in my contract which we went through together and she signed that payment is due in full on the 1st of the month. Anyways, November payment was received a few days early. But now Dec 2 she has yet to pay. A reminder email sent one week ago. Two reminders sent yesterday. This morning she informed me (via text) that her car broke down yesterday and she was trying to figure things out. If she has no car then she obviously cannot get her child to me anyhow (they live 45 min away). Said she'd get back to me by the end of the day. Her daughter only comes Tues-Thurs so she technically doesn't need to see me until next week so I'm easy to avoid apparently. I know what needs to happen if payment is not received by today but what would you do if she does pay by the end of today??

I really don't want to let them go (what is the space doesn't fill for months? etc etc) but I'm not an idiot and have been self-employed for 10+ yrs. I know what needs to be done. Just feels crappy seeing as I was such a good find for them (I am a T1 diabetic as is their daughter so I am very confident and comfortable in caring for a toddler with T1). But that's neither here nor there. I work hard and deserve to be paid on time. Anyone have a sample of a termination letter?

Expansive...
    Due to late payment for the second month in a matter of a few months I am sorry but I have to terminate you and give notice and let you know that --------- will be the last month /week for -------- attending this daycare because of late fees.

I suggest that you put a ad in craigslist right away to look for your next client