Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

What is your real profession...

...and do you miss going to work and have an adult conversation?

Cocoon

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and worked many years in both food and pharmaceutical industries. After having my second child, I did not want to return to my job because it was a childish and toxic environment....it made me feel physically ill when I would think about returning after mat leave. After a second child, my priorities seemed to shift from career to "being there for my kids" and I realized I did not want to work many hours only to see my own kids at nighttime and weekends.

I started out with an agency watching their children and then realized that I could make more money in my pocket, set my hours better, and choose which child and set of parents that I wanted to work with by going privately. I enjoy it much more this way but eventually think that once my own children grow up more and won't need their own daycare then I may try to go back to the "rat race" instead of commuting to my living room! Time will tell.

As far as adult conversation - I don't miss the backstabbing politics of an office setting and I have found a group of care givers that we often get together and see each other at various centres and parks.

It will be interesting to read what other people post .... thanks for starting an interesting topic!
    Last edited by lori123; 12-10-2011 at 06:09 PM.

I am an ECE by trade (currently an RECE), have my BA in Religious Studies and Music, and took Office Administration 2 years ago (for business side of things). I also have qualifications to teach Highland Dancing (in which I own my own dance school).

I do miss adult conversation, but don't miss the politics of working in a center! I enjoy being my own boss, choosing MY hours, and MY rules!

I have a BA in English Literature but I used to work in finance. I don't miss my old business life at all!

Euphoric !
    My training is in teaching BA/B.Ed concurrent. I did ECE courses while we were posted in Cape Breton (hubby is military) back at a time when it could be done by correspondance and didnt' require extensive practicums if you prior experience or were a parent. Yes I know it has changed many times since but much of the basic book work still applies. In realilty my teaching degree comes into play more in the sense of when I trained (graduated 1981) the learning of colours, letters, numbers, etc was the kindergarten program and JK was only beginning to be offered in some larger schools. Now that same curriculum is what we teach to 2-3 year olds not 5 year olds.

In a sense then I am still being true to my training just doing it in a home environment rather than a school. Would I ever go back to school - not now the politics would do me in after 25 years of being my own boss. What I will do as I wind down my daycare is ramp up my feltboard business and workshops I do for caregivers built around the felt.

I'm a litle surprised that no one has commented yet on the original question in terms of how it was worded. My "real profession" is home daycare provider. Did I have a previous profession or will I change professions in the future maybe. But to be a good provider you need to see what you are doing now as your profession - your purpose in life and not a stop gap measure. I'm sure nothing negative was meant by the wording so no offence taken.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

I read that and wanted to say something, but I have bigger fish to fry...

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I'm a litle surprised that no one has commented yet on the original question in terms of how it was worded. My "real profession" is home daycare provider. Did I have a previous profession or will I change professions in the future maybe. But to be a good provider you need to see what you are doing now as your profession - your purpose in life and not a stop gap measure. I'm sure nothing negative was meant by the wording so no offence taken.
    Now that you state that....I guess I didn't really read the question very well!

My profession is Home Daycare Provider (am a RECE). BUT I did train to become one (as I wanted to be a home daycare provider after I had children myself, but that quickly changed).

Expansive...
    my first thought was the title of the thread!

I think Cocoon meant, "what was your original profession?" instead of "real profession" and didn't mean anything negative by it. I certainly did not feel it was insulting or upsetting at all.

At the moment, I am providing good quality home daycare but have no formal training other than being a Mom myself and attending some workshops. Eventually, I think I would like to go back to a job outside the home once my children are a bit older and able to look after themselves after school. I enjoy what I am doing now and its worked out well, paid the bills, and I managed to have more family time this way while my kids are young.

Outgoing
    As lori123 said, I really didn't mean to offend you guys. What I meant was "your original profession". What did you studied or what work did you do before you decided to open a daycare? Sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention.

Thank you for your responses.
    Cocoon