Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

New CRA tax laws to peruse and enjoy ;)

A friend posted this on FB today. Better have a look as it affects providers in a big way. If you didn't already hate the Liberals, this might be your tipping point.

"If you are self employed out of your home, the government is going to take a cut when you sell. New this year and retroactive. Just awesome. #thankaliberal"

"8. What do I report when I actually sell my principal residence, if I used part of it as my principal residence and another part for my business or to earn rental income?
    If only a part of your home qualifies as your principal residence and you used the other part to earn or produce income, you may have to split the selling price and the adjusted cost base between the part you used for your principal residence and the part you used for other purposes (for example, rental or business). You can do this by using square metres or the number of rooms, as long as the split is reasonable.
    Instructions will be provided in the guide T4037, Capital Gains 2016, on how to report the sale of your principal residence in this situation."

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/bdgt/2016/qa11-eng.html

Outgoing
    Politics aside... I don't think this is something any of us need to worry about. Firstly, what they are changing is that now you have to inform the CRA when you sell your principal residence. You didn't have to do that before and they are just trying to "improve compliance " with the law. Secondly, your daycare is part of your principal residence, not a separate part. If, for example, you use your basement for daycare only, it is still part of the main house. You may have the door closed and locked to the main floor and maybe there is a separate entrance, but do you have separate plumbing to the daycare? Separate wiring with a different hydro metre? Is there a separate furnace/thermostat? I would guess not. It is all one house.

Consider the house in the show 6 Feet Under. They had a funeral business. The upstairs was the home and the main floor the parlours and the basement was the "prep" area. It's a ridiculous example, I know but that's the kind of business the CRA is talking about. They aren't going to start coming after small in-home daycare providers. That would not be "liberal" policy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My accountant looking into this. His first impression that this not affect me as all of my home is principle residence and daycare combined. I not have dedicated space for my daycare. He think it going to more affect those who have basement apartment they use for daycare or who run daycare from separate building on property.

Outgoing
    Thank you for the update, I'll send this inf. To my accountant asap. But what happens if your renting? If their main goal is to collect more money through taxes; then it wouldn't be fair just to apply it to just homeowners. There are people making businesses in rented homes.

Outgoing
    I brought this topic up a few weeks back...please post what anyone finds out!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    Thank you for the update, I'll send this inf. To my accountant asap. But what happens if your renting? If their main goal is to collect more money through taxes; then it wouldn't be fair just to apply it to just homeowners. There are people making businesses in rented homes.
    YOU will not be selling the house. That is all there is to it. It is about homeowners who sell their homes. You rent, so you can move but you haven't sold the property so it doesn't apply to you.

Expansive...
    I spoke to my accountant about it and posted a few weeks back. Yes we have to declare that we used the home for a business when we sell, but ultimately it is exempt as a primary residence, unless the following conditions apply:
    1) You have made structural changes to your house because of daycare(ie. finish basement/create new entrance/move walls/add new plumbing or bathroom/add a mini kitchen etc.
    2)You have previously claimed the house itself as depreciation expense on tax returns
    Also, your house must retain the original character it had when you moved in. Ie. it must look like a regular residence from the inside and out, not a preschool or licensed daycare.

That's what I've been told so far, and for me it's a non-issue, as I use my extra living /dining area for the play area, with no structural changes to the house.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks for the more in depth explanation. I'm fairly useless when it comes to taxes and rely on others. They baffle me, completely.

Taxes

What does everyone claim for taxes?

Whole home or a designated area??

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mela View Post
    What does everyone claim for taxes?

Whole home or a designated area??
    You claim what you use. Being the most audited business in the Country, you need your return to be accurate.

There's a CRA guide called "Using your home for day care" which explains the calculation. Realistically, unless you live in a trailer or an apartment, there are going to be rooms in your house you do not use for day care such as certain bedrooms, your ensuite if you have one, any walk in closets. If your daycare is in your basement, you aren't using all of the above rooms. If your day care is on the main level, you aren't using your basement. CRA knows what is typical and will look for anything out of the normal realms.

Once you have figured out what percentage of your homes sq footage you are really using, you will multiply any shared space (used by daycare but also the family outside business hours) by 5 week days over 7 days in a week and again by your business hours over the total of 24 hours in a day.

For instance - if you live in a 2 bed trailer and use every single part of your home during business hours then 100% of your sq footage is used.

100% x (5 days open for business/7 days in a week) x (10 business hours / 24 hours in a day) =
    100% x 0.7143 x 0.42 = 30%

If you have 3 levels, and your entire basement is entirely dedicated to day care, you don't have a basement laundry which is used by the family and no one sets foot in the basement for any other purpose than day care, then it's dedicated space so assuming the footprint of your basement is the same as the main and upper level, then it would be one third of your space but for the whole week and for the whole day so 33% can be claimed.