3.5k
Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Outgoing 33 Daiseys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    89 Times in 67 Posts

    Christmas crafts and parents......:(

    Advice with how to move forward.
    So I have a difficult parents that really gets on my nerves at times. thinks we sit on our butts all days that that i shouldnt get a break while they nap.
    Anyways, yesterday she drops dkc off, hands me heir bag and off she goes.
    12:30 just as lunch is wrapping up I get a text " Just wanted to let you know that there is a craft set I thought you might enjoy doing".
    Said ok, but nap time in in a few minutes so we would have to wait until tomorrow ( today) to do it. After getting the kids into bed, I go and get out said craft. I'm like wholly crap it's one of these 300 peice gingerbread sets which have to be hot glued into place.
    So I go to text mom that this might be a bit difficult to do here because 1 it is a solo set so only one child could take it home, and 2 it is labeled as being age appropriate for a 8 year old. Her child is 2, and can barely hold a fricking spoon.
    Here back from mom " Oh, I understand its for an older child my though was that you could do it during nap so dck can bring it to grandparents house since I don't have time for arts and crafts. Please make sure its in a shoe box so it wont get ruined on the drive over."
    At that point I was just like no, I'm not going to sit and take an hour or more of my day to do a craft that if you want done with your child, take the time to do it with your child.
    More showed up 10 minutes late, granted it was a snow day here, and was like so how did the craft go. I handed her the bag, with kit unopened, and said as nicely as I could, "I appreciate the though, and I would love to spend the afternoon crafting( which is true), and asked if she would like to provide a cooking and cleaning service to come to free up my time?'
    She just game me a huff and said something about how disappointed the grandparents are going to be.
    Child is off on holidays for the rest of the week, so I wont see thttp://www.daycarebear.ca/forum/images/smilies/RpS/RpS_wink.gifhem until Monday. Would you address it further?

  2. #2
    Euphoric !
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,038
    Thanked
    414 Times in 303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 33 Daiseys View Post
    Advice with how to move forward.... Would you address it further?
    No. Leave alone now.

    I would not have been impressed either but I do think your reply about cooking and cleaning maybe unprofessional. I would have just explained that nap time I am washing dishes from lunch, mopping floor and bathroom and preparing for afternoon so I not have time either and not see it as my role to facilitate one family's gift for grandparents.

    But you made your point - why stir it up more? It will only result in bad feeling and drama. There nothing to be gained from poking the bear.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Euphoric !
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,307
    Thanked
    735 Times in 472 Posts
    I seriously just spit my tea out.

    I don't even know what to say.

    I mean, put the boxed kit in a show box and hand it over? I just don't know what to say. Who in their right mind asks a daycare provider to hot glue gun 300 pieces together for grandparents? You don't ask them to glue 2 pieces together. It is the equivalent of handing you their shopping list and telling you to wrap it all after you've bought it.

    Maybe print off your contract and have them revisit it? Inform them of what your responsibilities are since they don't seem to know.

  5. #4
    Starting to feel at home...
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    172
    Thanked
    38 Times in 37 Posts
    I know at times it can be frustrating. But, as a professional probably I could have gave her the option to choose: 1 the craft is not age appropriate (and your role as educator is to make sure every child is able to participate and support the craft activity with any little skills they have); 2 how ever it can get done but not as the picture in the box. Using al the pieces as a loose parts and regular glue for everyone and when everyone is able to participate. 3 for the grand parents to see, you can send a digital picture of the grand child hands on. Or last, the mother and the child can do it together. (As you stated before) but not just you doing it alone and on your own afternoon prep. time. I'm sure the grand parents will love to see their grand child working on it. Not just and the end product.

  6. #5
    Euphoric !
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,307
    Thanked
    735 Times in 472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    I know at times it can be frustrating. But, as a professional probably I could have gave her the option to choose: 1 the craft is not age appropriate (and your role as educator is to make sure every child is able to participate and support the craft activity with any little skills they have); 2 how ever it can get done but not as the picture in the box. Using al the pieces as a loose parts and regular glue for everyone and when everyone is able to participate. 3 for the grand parents to see, you can send a digital picture of the grand child hands on. Or last, the mother and the child can do it together. (As you stated before) but not just you doing it alone and on your own afternoon prep. time. I'm sure the grand parents will love to see their grand child working on it. Not just and the end product.
    I truthfully am not sure that giving the parents options is the right way to go. They have stepped outside the boundary of acceptable expectations. They have sent a 300 pc hot glue gun project to the caregiver to be done during nap to then be sent to grandparents as a gift. They did not mistakenly overestimate the children's abilities and send a group activity for the daycare they intentionally sent an activity for the caregiver to do by herself for a present for someone else.

    It is not acceptable in any career for someone to be given a project that is not related to the career to be done on work time. It is certainly not acceptable for a home daycare parent to be giving a self employed home daycare provider this project to be done during her working day.

    Options just give the parent the idea that they just chose the wrong activity and next time they want Christmas presents made they need to send one that is just a bit easier. The box needed to be returned unopened with a clear discussion about how it was not acceptable to send it so this doesn't happen again.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Outgoing 33 Daiseys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    89 Times in 67 Posts
    Hi all, thanks for the thoughts. This parent will be getting a term letter in the new year. This is the third time some thing has come up. and both myself and my husband are fed up with her.
    2 - Last week we did a bunch of baking for a local nursing home, I'm talking 4 days of cookies and squares I had bought tins so that each child including my own would get one of each to take home ( I bought the big metal tins so there was more then enough sent home). The rest I had packaged up so that we could take it in for the seniors. This was the Tuesday night.
    Mom shows up to pick up on Wednesday with a second EMPTY tin, " So I have a christmas party on Friday at work, can put some cookies in her for me?"
    My response was, "Sorry they were dropped off this am ( there was a permission for set out saying we were visiting , and bringing the baked goods), but if you want the recipies dck can help you, they were a great help".
    Her response, "Well I don't have time for that!", and stormed out dragging dck behind her.
    1 - The first time was when she got made that i didn't take the kids trick or treating on Halloween day at the mall like i did last year. This year the local mall did there trick or treating on the Saturday. She had know that we wouldn't be going, {since it wasn't happening }, and that we would have a party and craft day here.
    Any how she wanted me to keep her child here to take out since "she hates being outside".
    I told her sorry but we had just gotten over a cold (which we had) and that my husband was going to take my kids out since I had to catch up on cooking and cleaning. Her reply was that if it took so long to clean and cook that I should hire help( that's where my comment came from).
    Needless to say she stomped off saying to dck" Well I guess you don't get to go trick or treating this year"
    It really is a shame the dad is great, but I never see him, and I love the grandparents( If i had know that the craft was for grandparents, and had been given ample notice, I would have just because they are always so kind. They showed up with a cake on my birthday, and last Christmas brought all of the kids presents and timbits)

  9. #7
    Outgoing 33 Daiseys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    89 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    I truthfully am not sure that giving the parents options is the right way to go. They have stepped outside the boundary of acceptable expectations. They have sent a 300 pc hot glue gun project to the caregiver to be done during nap to then be sent to grandparents as a gift. They did not mistakenly overestimate the children's abilities and send a group activity for the daycare they intentionally sent an activity for the caregiver to do by herself for a present for someone else.

    It is not acceptable in any career for someone to be given a project that is not related to the career to be done on work time. It is certainly not acceptable for a home daycare parent to be giving a self employed home daycare provider this project to be done during her working day.

    Options just give the parent the idea that they just chose the wrong activity and next time they want Christmas presents made they need to send one that is just a bit easier. The box needed to be returned unopened with a clear discussion about how it was not acceptable to send it so this doesn't happen again.
    Thanks I just couldn't believe it.

  10. #8
    Outgoing
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    462
    Thanked
    195 Times in 146 Posts
    She wanted you to take her kid trick or treating on Saturday? Did I read that right?

  11. #9
    Outgoing 33 Daiseys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    266
    Thanked
    89 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    She wanted you to take her kid trick or treating on Saturday? Did I read that right?
    No she wanted me to take her kid out trick or treating, after hours on a school night.

    I had told her the mall was doing an inside trick or treat on the Saturday before Halloween( last year they did it on halloween day, but due to low attendance they did it this way this year).

  12. #10
    Outgoing
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    462
    Thanked
    195 Times in 146 Posts
    Ooh... that's still nuts. I can't believe she'd even think that.

Similar Threads

  1. Xmas crafts for parents
    By Busy ECE mommy in forum Daycare activities
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 03:03 PM
  2. Parents leaving past crafts in bag
    By momof2_boys in forum Daycare activities
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 08:36 PM
  3. Christmas Holidays affected parents more than kids!
    By Other Mummy in forum Daycare providers' experiences with parents
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM
  4. Fun christmas crafts on a budget??
    By monkeymama in forum Daycare activities
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 08:46 AM
  5. Christmas Party for parents
    By zen39 in forum The day-to-day as a daycare provider
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

A few tips...

If you encounter a daycare provider with out-of-date openings / spaces, click on the button right above the currently listed openings to report it!
Did you know?
On average, a listing is viewed each month by more than 140 parents looking for an available opening for their child!
Partner in your
search for a daycare provider