Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

I wish, I wish.....

I really wish that there was a way to warn other providers about families that we have had to let go of. Would you be grateful for such a thing? Do you think that it would save you heart ache?

Euphoric !
    While it would be handy to be given the head's up from a past provider...it is part of our job to prescreen and have solid contracts. Any family coming in with a child older than the usual 10-12 months gets extra questions and face time to try and figure out why they are seeking care. Obviously they won't just come out and tell us why they were terminated from their past caregiver but as a home caregiver we need to be able to trust the vibes we get when meeting families. It is hard when a space NEEDS to be filled, but it is important to pass on families that just don't quite seem right.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have a handful of other providers that I am close to in my area. We do share that info. with one another if the parent is very difficult, or if the child's behaviour is unmanageable.
    I have found that several screenings are necessary to give me a sense of the family. Phone interview first with a million questions(lol) and then about an hour visit at my home with all family members present. Sometimes the visits give you a vibe, and sometimes you don't see it coming.
    We've all had families who push the limits.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

I was part of a network of providers when I lived in Halton. We did communicate, but I have to be honest, I'm not sure how effective it truly is?? If the provider just gives you a warning to be extra thorough it is one thing, but when they bad mouth, which yes happens all the time, then how much of it is A) the whole truth and not partially exaggerated, and B) what real role did the provider play in the issues to begin with?? A lot of problems in daycare are communication and enforcement of contract which the provider is partially responsible for. I have spoken to many parents who tell me one thing, and their previous provider tells me something completely different. Of course how do I know who is telling the truth, and how well do I know my fellow providers??? I think if it was a matter of gross misconduct, a generalized explanation would be helpful in dodging a bullet, but it is quite often I hear providers complain about late pick up, late payment etc etc and how it is a chronic problem with said parent, and honestly that is the providers fault for allowing it to go on. I am also coming from a country where bad mouthing without proof is slander and you can be sued, even if every word you say is true! So maybe I have a different viewpoint than most.

Like Lee-Bee said though, all providers should have a good screening procedure and a solid contract. Sometimes a daycare experience can also just be a conflict in personalities and care-giving principles in which case it was destined to go wrong and maybe another provider would be a good fit for that parent even if it was an absolute sh*t show with the previous provider.

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm part of a provider group, and we do pass along a 'heads up' when we have issues with a parent or child, or at our monthly meetings mention names of ones we have interviewing, to see if there's any feedback. In our group it's not so much about blacklisting someone, but more about finding a better fit. If a parent needs details on every minute of their child's day, they recommend someone like me that uses an app to issue parent reports. If a baby needs holding every minute, maybe a provider wth no other babies would allow for babywearing. We all have different programs, contracts, etc. Though if a parent walked out owing payment or was yelling/threatening, they would get blacklisted from the agency unless they made it right with the original provider.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I wish there was too! I was assuaged today by a parent so imagine the built of not knowing where these crazy people will end up and god forbid if something happens to another provider.