Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think the key thing here is claim what it costs, or extremely close. I don't think it is a good idea to guesstimate to be honest, but I do not have time to do separate grocery shopping unless I am doing my batch cooking technique which I haven't been doing religiously since reopening in May. I serve zero processed foods but am not organic anymore. My weekly grocery bill for fruit and veg alone for my daycare kids averages at $60-$70 and can vary dramatically depending on the time of year and the fluctuating cost of produce. I've had a couple of recent weeks at $50 but I'm serving a lot more raw veggies for snacks instead of fruit now. I bake from scratch and freeze in single portions and typically buy those ingredients in bulk when on sale. I also buy my rice and pasta in bulk organic and gluten free because its actually cheaper than conventional this way.

I have been looking into the Walmart and Superstore click and collect. I am a terrible impulse buyer lol I like the idea of purchasing all on line and then hubby picking up on the way home. That way I have separate receipts for daycare groceries and only buy what I need. I'm also starting to serve more vegetarian bean and lentil based meals because my next biggest expense is meat. My son is vegetarian so its no biggy. I don't serve fish anymore as I have children with fish allergies.

I used to have a no expense spared attitude towards my daycare menu plan and served fully organic. A couple of years I claimed very high for food. Now I am constantly challenging myself to buy healthy whole foods at the lowest prices. Such a turn around in my approach since recovering from a year as an unemployed full time student. It's quite satisfying and yes I know this makes me kind of sad lol Means more money in my pocket though at the end of the day and my daycare kids are still eating wicked healthy grub!
    Last edited by bright sparks; 01-09-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    I use the 'dirty dozen' list when deciding whether to buy organic or not.

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-...clean-fifteen/

Euphoric !
    The SS click and collect is AMAZING!! Lol. We've used it a handful of times and my husband goes during the week (cheaper then weekend days) and picks it up. They are super friendly, even load it if you want, come out and grab your coupons. It's great

I was never a SS shopper and was leery of their produce but it's been awesome. I'm converted We still go to Sobeys for some produce and our meat but I no longer waste a day shopping!!

Starting to feel at home...
    50% of my grocery bill

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    The SS click and collect is AMAZING!! Lol. We've used it a handful of times and my husband goes during the week (cheaper then weekend days) and picks it up. They are super friendly, even load it if you want, come out and grab your coupons. It's great

I was never a SS shopper and was leery of their produce but it's been awesome. I'm converted We still go to Sobeys for some produce and our meat but I no longer waste a day shopping!!
    I really want to do this, but i can't use coupons or price match so it isn't worth it 😬

Euphoric !
    Why can't you use coupons? As stated in my previous post, I've used them.

I wondered about the price matching too but always forget to ask. I don't price match very often at all so it hasn't been a big concern of mine. If it's a lot cheaper somewhere else, I'll just go to that store (there are some things I won't buy at SS) and if it's not too much more, I just grab it from SS. The time it has saved me is awesome!! I also save money because there's no impulse buts anymore (aka $20 on junk lol)

We still shop at a couple other places but SS is definitely where we buy the bulk of our stuff now and I never used to shop at all, what a change!

Outgoing
    Has anyone out there ever been audited

Expansive...
    What is CLICK AND COLLECT???
    I shop at s/store so I am missing out on this as I never heard of it LOL

Outgoing
    When it comes to paper towels, toilet tissue, cleaning products etc. is this a percentage also, I noticed someone claims 100% of these products

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post

I can't believe it but s/s does NOt have click and collect in BC !!
    it would be sooo handy for daycares everywhere home and group daycares.
    I emailed them requesting that service in BC as it sounds like it is the rest of Canada so why not here too?