Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Outgoing

Taxes...claiming food

Hi there, I know this has been talked about before but I need some input....I don't shop separately for the daycare....I have been claiming 4.00 per child per day....so 100.00 a week....have I been under estimating how much I spend. When I look at my monthly grocery bill..it's astronomical....my husband and I don't eat that much money in food!!! Would anyone be willing to share how they work their food deduction out...Thanks a bunch,

I claim $8/child/scheduled day
    $2/snack x 2 snacks/day
    $4/lunch x 1 lunch/day
    total $8.00/day/child

If you offer breakfast or dinner as well that will up the amount.

Outgoing
    Thanks BlueRose for your reply....I offer breakfast, snack, lunch and snack...so I think I am on the LOW end...definately

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Thanks BlueRose for your reply....I offer breakfast, snack, lunch and snack...so I think I am on the LOW end...definately
    My accountant always says that claims for food at $10 or more will flag the CRA so for those not shopping separately to be very very careful calculating it this way. I claimed $10 a day per child for two snacks and lunch in 2015 because that is how much it cost for me to serve a fully organic from scratch meal plan. Maybe CRA will question it, but I have my receipts and menus to back it up so Im okay. I now claim $7 a day since scrapping the organic because that is a very close number. Don't cut yourself short sandylynn.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    My accountant always says that claims for food at $10 or more will flag the CRA so for those not shopping separately to be very very careful calculating it this way. I claimed $10 a day per child for two snacks and lunch in 2015 because that is how much it cost for me to serve a fully organic from scratch meal plan. Maybe CRA will question it, but I have my receipts and menus to back it up so Im okay. I now claim $7 a day since scrapping the organic because that is a very close number. Don't cut yourself short sandylynn.
    Thank you for letting us know. My accountant has never mentioned this to me, but I have always claimed less then $10.

Anyone who is claiming a $ amount per child should check with their accountant (if they have one) or with cra to confirm they are within the proper claim limit if they are unsure.

Starting to feel at home...
    I took a typical week's menu and figured out the cost, which turned out to be just over $7 per child per day, so I claim $7. I was told by a friend who is an accountant that since I don't buy daycare food separately, to just keep my sample menu and my cost calculations with my other receipts and that would be enough 'proof' if I was ever audited.

Outgoing
    Thanks bright sparks and lemondrop....I really have been on the low end....parents always tell me that they eat better at my home than theirs....I think I should up it to at least 5.00 / per child....they eat well here ....

Expansive...
    I shop separately for daycare. We eat healthy but not organic, and I have a menu. I can't imagine claiming $8 a day per child. My food totals are about $450-500 a month for 5 full time children. That includes 2 snacks and hot lunch(southern ontario)

Euphoric !
    This works out to about $5/child/day. I'm thinking that's probably the average for most of us

In reply to busyecemommy's post....

Starting to feel at home...
    50% of my grocery bill