Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Burnout :(

Outgoing

Burnout :(

Well ... I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm completely burnt out.

Ever since I had a stressful situation with family members last summer things have not been going great. Although the situation is now resolved I'm still struggling. I'm tired, forgetful, I don't have the drive and energy I use to have, I'm disengaged, I catch every bug I'm sick with something all the time, I'm impatient and I gained crazy weight. I have more bad days than good.. It's been going on for to long I think. I have great families I work for and good kids and I did reduce my work, taken some time off, taken things slowly and I just cant get over the funk I'm in. I'm usually a hard worker and on top of my game and now I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I haven't been using an alarm clock in YEARS ! I'm really not myself despite the steps I've taken to try to get me out of it. I think I need to close the daycare but I don't know where to go from there. How do I know if I'm really done ? Can I close and reopened once I'm better without damaging my daycare's reputation ? I feel like such a slacker...My husband is working like a madman and here I am 4 months after I've reduced my load and hours I still cant get better. I know he'll support me in my decision but I still feel very guilty.
    I'll need an income for sure. Nothing big but I still need something and I still have one child at home. I for sure wont be able to afford daycare... I really don't know what to do !!

Any on you guys been there ? How long until you decided enough is enough ? I cant shake it and I'm mad at myself. I don't know how I'll ever be able to tell my daycare parents I need to close. I'll disappoint them so much and I'll truly miss the kids and the daycare but something's gotta give.

Any advice ? or just sympathy would be appreciated

Euphoric !
    Can you down size? Drop all children but 1. I would choose the one that is a best playmate for your own child. Depending on your clientele consider raising your fees a bit for that family.

Change your daycare from a daycare centre to a home where you care for an extra child. This means you do all cooking and house work while that child and your own child play. Do a few activities throughout the day with them (art, reading etc) but get all house stuff done during these working hours. If they still nap, use this time as personal time (no cleaning or cooking) read, take up a hobby and have you time.

This also frees up your weekend and evenings since housework is done during work hours. It will hopefully give you some freedom to find yourself again.

Technically you are not closing your daycare. You are letting some families go. But, you are still more or less running it so you can add more children when you feel up for it without having fully closed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sorry to hear you're going through this

I'd talk to my doctor first to rule out depression actually. If you're depressed and not necessarily just burnt out, it won't matter what you do, those feelings will still be there.

If you are actually just burnt out with daycare, I'd consider dropping to just 1 or 2 kids and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck!! Keep repeating, "this too shall pass"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Sorry to hear you're going through this

I'd talk to my doctor first to rule out depression actually. If you're depressed and not necessarily just burnt out, it won't matter what you do, those feelings will still be there.

If you are actually just burnt out with daycare, I'd consider dropping to just 1 or 2 kids and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck!! Keep repeating, "this too shall pass"
    This is a good point actually! It could also be something as simple as low thyroid which makes one tired, irritable, and feeling depressed and makes you gain weight. Your doctor can run some blood work to check the thyroid as well as iron and B12 levels. Those would be pretty quick to fix if it is that!!

Outgoing
    I'm and I feel it with you. Every winter happens the same to me. I.love my group my families are just perfect no issues what so ever but my energy levels aren't the same. I've noticed this was happening during winter it starts right before Christmas and lasts until early spring.

So, this year I've improved by visiting my doctor. Two vitamine e pills a day, my loverly husband got me a Day light lamp. I do not stress by any means, I try to relax as much as posible. I read and i do not do absolutely anything at home while I'm in my break. And I've noticed it helps.

Now I'm more happy to spend time with my little ones. But our work isn't easy the winter makes it challenging. I had thought two options if I can no longer care for kids. One give myself a great big time off at least 8 months or so which would help me to refocus and maybe try different waters so to speak. And two, contract someone an Ece two work two or three days a week so, that would allow me to enjoy more of my own time while I still have an income. Some friends did it and they were happy with their decision. I hope this helps. Visit your doctor.

Outgoing
    Thanks everyone ! I've ruled out Thyroid already because at first that's what I thought since problems run in my family or maybe I should just go and get a second test done to be sure. I also have had the winter blues before but usually am able to pull myself out . It feels different this time. I've already cut down my daycare I only have 2 daycare kids and most days I work only 8 hours. I'm VERY LUCKY already and yet it's not enough to help. Maybe I will go down to one and change how I run my business for a while if the family I choose is okay with it.

Thanks

Outgoing
    When you get your thyroid results, ask your doctor to show them to you. And make sure the doctor is doing more than 1 test. I think my doctor tests at least 3 different things with my thyroid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Sorry to hear you feel this way and I hope you feel like yourself soon
    sometimes it is hard to snap out of it,........maybe you just need something to look forward to and make plans for whatever you really need ,make a wish list and decide on what you can afford or need- GOOD LUCK