Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Borrowing my Daycare Toys

I have a family member who has an3 yr old boy and when visiting over Christmas at my house the child played with all the daycare toys (no prob) but the Dad said they would like to borrow some of them (he didn't really ask), namely the big wooden train set (says his child just has figure 8 track) and magnetic tiles. He said he'd come and get them when my DC is closed for holidays. I feel a bit put off by the whole thing as he didn't really ask, and they are an extremely rich and young family (his parents paid off their million dollar house soon after purchase.) I feel like if they can afford to buy their own stuff, they should. My toys get enough wear and tear as it is. Am I the one being stingy? How do I tell them without offending, or should I just chill? Thanks.

Euphoric !
    Ummmm, nope? It's not stingy at all. Anything can happen to that train set while in their care and that's one more expense for you. You don't have to explain it away. You have a policy that daycare toys stay at the daycare.

I've been doing this for about 15 years and I've never had that happen. I've had parents borrow a booster seat or pack and play here and there in a pinch, but they've never asked to borrow my toys. That's odd.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well...as I unsuccessfully tried to explain to my mother-in-law some time back when you ask me for something I am generally more than willing to help. When you demand it you will never get it. It is unacceptable, rude, and disrespectful to make demands of people.

So, had these family members asked if they could borrow the train set on their next visit I quite possibly would have considered it.

But they have demanded it, in a disrespectful manner and that does not give me any confidence that they will care in the least about returning it in the same condition they received it.

Now, how to let them know. That is sadly a tough thing to do. You shouldn't have been put in a position where you need to try and find a way to say no. When do they plan to visit? When are they expecting to pick it up. Will they call first. Just give a flat out no (not easy to do). If you want an easier way out just pack it up, tuck it away and give a sweet "oh sorry a daycare family of mine had lots of kids visiting over the holidays and politely asked to borrow it, they've just been so kind and helpful to me that I couldn't possibly turn them down."

Of course, any response but a firm, truthful, my toys don't leave my house leaves you open to them wanting different toys or that same toy next visit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Wow, it seems like this relative has entitlement issues. I would have no problem saying no- "sorry, all daycare toys stay in the daycare. Little Johnny is welcome to play with them when you are visiting my home."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lemondrop For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes I agree with everyone - you have a right to say NO , daycare toys stay at the daycare
    because if not that toy he will pick out another toy next time -he is so rude

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would not allow. Nothing to do with if they can or cannot afford own. These business asset and I not a lending library. I would just outright say no and tell them where they can get their own.