Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will she adjust

Will she adjust

Hi all, I am new to this forum but not new in daycare business. I have a DCG who started this week. I gave her two half days for transitioning before she started full day. She was fine during those half days but on her first full day she completely transformed and crying and crying. Extreme separation anxiety. Same condition for the last four days. I just want if anyone can share her experience regarding rough transition and how long the child took to get fully adjusted. Thanks

Euphoric !
    In my experience the first two days are usually pretty good then the honeymoon is over and they realize this is the new normal .... then they scream for two weeks ... usually by the beginning of the third week you should see a huge improvement

Expansive...
    Totally normal. 2-4 weeks is pretty typical depending on age. The younger ones might have a harder time separating/adjusting to the new routines.

Shy
    I have also found that the first couple of days are ok...until they get wise to the game! I had a child scream her head off all day from October when she started until she came back after xmas break. Then, she just stopped and is a wonderful child who rarely cries. You just have to hang in. If it goes on for months and you cannot handle it, then you can terminate your contract (depending on what your contract says). All children are different. I have also had kids who had zero transition and adjusted from the start... And the younger they are, the harder it can be for them to adjust.

Separation anxiety is normal. I think within two weeks the baby will feel normal and will think this new place like another home.