Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Fish Tank in daycare

Hi - if anyone has a fish tank in their daycare, r there any tips to share? Where it's located, how high from ground , can the dcks go near it/feed fish. Electrical wire safety..... Maybe it's a bad idea...

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Hi - if anyone has a fish tank in their daycare, r there any tips to share? Where it's located, how high from ground , can the dcks go near it/feed fish. Electrical wire safety..... Maybe it's a bad idea...
    We have a fish tank in our home, in the space I care for 2 children in addition to my daughter (just half days). It is so easy to over feed fish (not good for the fish or the tank/filters/water). We have upwards of 30 fish and feed them every other day (a small pinch of food). An adult does this. They just can't manage their fingers for the right amount of food. You could technically work up a rotating schedule and help dish out the food for one child to feed the fish. But odds are the group as a whole can't feed at the same time (would have to be some BIG fish and lots of them).

Our tank is large. I believe 60 gallons. It is on a stand (came with tank) the tank is likely at my hip level to my shoulder. My almost 4 year old is tall and likely stand looking right in the center height wise.

The kids like to hit the tank and I do not allow this (so need constant reminders). The tank is big and solid but if that thing came down no child is surviving. I would suspect a smaller tank is at great risk of being pulled over. So strict rules and monitoring would be needed until they are all trained. Totally do-able but it will take time to ensure they understand and follow this.

The kids LOVE watching the fish. It is soothing and mesmerizing. If you are interested in getting fish it is worthwhile.

For us, once a month we remove 1/4 of the tank water and replace it. And change out filters. We scrub the inside of the glass to prevent algae build up. We have a few fish whose sole purpose is to eat the algae so they do their best to keep it clean as well. There is a lot to go into building a proper tank. The size determines how many fish, don't put aggressive with community fish. Consider an algae eating fish in your mix. Our tank is big enough that we ensure we have bottom feeders, middle feeders and top feeders. So, essentially we have fish all spread out. Other wise all fish will be in one area and the tank is empty elsewhere which just isn't as visually appealing and I assume s harder to ensure all are fed!

If you move forward, do some research to ensure you are doing it right :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks! Yes, I definitely want this in my daycare at some point soon. I feel like the kids spend so many hours a week with plastic and paper, I want to have something live and real but fairly easy to take care of and watch grow. . I may figure a way of having my hubby secure it to a wall. I'd also love a small glass plant tank (plastic probably) beside it to grow a tiny garden.... Nature inspires, and winter is sooo long. I'll start doing my research.

Euphoric !
    I am not a pets/animal lover but we have had a beta fish for I think 2 years now. I kept it super simple. It's just a large fish bowl, some large blue rocks and a plant. The kids picked the fish out, named him and are responsibly for feeding him. As young as 2.5 year olds have done it. They take turns every other day and only give 2 pieces. It's great for pincer grasp learning lol. I clean the tank but that's about it.

It's never been knocked over, hands have never went in it, it's been perfectly fine They love it and are so responsible with it (they often remind me it's time to feed fishy lol)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I'd like to get fish, but I do worry about the safety (pulling it over) aspect. I think our tank (stored since moving years ago) is 10 gallons. We have a salamander in a 20 g glass terrarium (fish tank with wire top) in the playroom now and they do well with him. We even gather worms and bugs in the garden to feed him. It's very low maintenance, and no electricity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post: