Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Sept 2017/unlicensed?

Hi everyone! I've been away from this forum for a long time. I just had a parent contact me in a panic for a space. She says her current unlicensed, home daycare (Ontario) is having to close due to new rollouts/phase 2 of the childcare act, effective Sept 2017. I too, am unlicensed. I cannot find anything pertaining to unlicensed home daycares anywhere. Thought perhaps this was the best place to ask.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

The only thing I have heard about is that as of Aug 31, 2017 children 10 to 12 will count in your numbers.
    It is my understanding that there are to be public consultation before any new phases are to be released. They also need to give us a descend amount of time to prepare for any major changes.

The Coalition of Independent Child Care Providers would make sure we are aware of any new changes happening. And the new changes would be all over Facebook. I wouldn't worry to much about it. If you are really worried then call the Ministry of Education and ask if there are any new changes happening to home daycares this year.

Euphoric !
    I'm on the executive committee with CICPO. BlueRose is correct regarding the change. Children between 10 and 12 will count in your numbers as of Aug 31/17. The public consultations are over, so far as I know. I attended the one in Toronto. Really, not much was said other than they're creating 100,000 new spaces, yadda yadda. To be honest, the consultation really wasn't much more than seeking validation for a path the MOE already has carved out - you can see this in the survey they put out.

CICPO is back to pushing for a new licencing model (direct and/or affordable licencing). As campaigning for the next provincial election gears up, there will be more opportunities for ICPs to step up and make your voices heard. If you wish to participate in this, contact any of us at CICPO to see where you can help.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thank you for keeping us updated cfred. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this is only in my city but caregivers have registered and they do not attend. It is frustrating when there is only certain limit in numbers and they decide not to go. This is the time we should be speaking out, and not when everything is set and done. Please, go speak up, be part of the change.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    No problem. The public consultations have passed, so that opportunity is gone. It wasn't really a venue for us to be heard anyway. As campaigning for the next provincial election gears up, there will be more support for us from the opposition and opportunities to speak in Queen's Park, in the media, etc. Childcare is a really hot topic for this election, so we would be wise to utilize the soap box that's coming our way. We would love to see more providers speak out and participate in future events. We're going back to our roots with protests, rallies, etc. We need bodies at these functions. I hope that more ICPs will step up and use the opportunities that will be coming our way. I don't think there will be any more opportunities to fight for our sector or have the public understand our position after 18 months time. Anyone who wants to be involved, please contact CICPO.