Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

1 day a week care.

Hello,

What are your thoughts or experience on caring for a 1 year old, 1 and occasionally 2 times a week. I have my doubts, but before I decide, I would like to get some feedback.

Thank you!

Outgoing
    Children often do not get used to care when it is this infrequently. I used to offer part time 3 days but am able to fill full time only now.

Outgoing
    I tried this a few years back...poor child....every day was like their "FIRST DAY'...SCREAMED the whole time....gave her up.... besides...that messes up filling the full time spot

Outgoing
    It really depends on the personality of the child some of them are happy to stay and love that especial day in daycare and some aren't. I was lucky that I had the good socialized little ones and it worked great; the only issue was that after the day was over they wanted to stay here. And some of my clients did some changes to increase the ir part time days. They've noticed how much fun their child was having while in daycare. Then they came up with sharing a spot idea it all worked fine.

Your contract has a trial period, maybe you can try and see. I also agree it can be hard to fill that spot as a part time but there are mothers looking for part time spots.

Starting to feel at home...
    I would not-because I've had rough experiences with even older toddlers. I've had a 2yo coming once a week since Sept and he still cries at least once plus if he wakes during nap. He's never really settled in, because he's not here often enough to bond with me or the other children. He has fun most of the time, but it's still a more stressful day for everyone because at every single transition his eyes fill with tears and he asks "Mommy come?". On the flip side, I did 2 days a week for a 1yo that had zero attachment issues, but was constantly knocking kids over and breaking things (33lb 14 month old-adorable brute of a kid). He also wasn't able to adjust to our rules or direction, because at home he lived in a super play pen gate thing where he could do whatever he wanted within the gate-after 3 months of going crazy I saw fb videos of him playing at home and it was a lightbulb moment. I was never going to be able to fix that, and I termed him the next month. As of April I will be full with all full timers, so looking forward to that!

Expansive...
    No, I wouldn't do part-time for that age. I only take the "under 2's" full-time. I take the over 2's for a 3 day a week minimum(set days) The child will have problems transitioning and you will be "starting over" each week with the transition. They need consistency so they know what to expect.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I did it for a while for a child and he was fine!!!!! then the next child was such hard work plus a screamer/crying I said NO MORE

Any year baby is hard to care if you think so. Normally a baby in that age need extra care. They can put anything in their mouth. You have to feed them food and water carefully. They can cry anytime so you have to have a playful mind. :-)

Euphoric !
    I have child who come one day week. He fill space for other child who always had one day with grandparent. It took 18 month find client want one day which be right day. Never again. Two year later and he still whining at drop off. Take him most of morning get settled. And this Sept the 4 day week child go school and I left with this one day client for 12 more month which mess up replacement.

Expansive...
    oh I hear you - it does mix these up and not in a good way