Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Holding a spot for someone....help!

HELP....has this happened to anyone..I have a spot available for Sept. I interviewed a family and they want it....The mother is actually going back to work in April and has found a spot which she will put her daughter in from April - Sept. I asked her..."if your daughter is doing well ....are you going to "pull her from there to bring her to me in Sept"....she says..."well....we will have to weigh it then....???? I told her I would need a 2 week deposit (TOTALLY NON REFUNDABLE IF SHE CHANGES HER MIND) That I couldn't hold a spot for 6 months knowing she could very well change her mind....She doesn't see why she has to do this???? Is it me....??? RED FLAG OBVIOUSLY

Starting to feel at home...
    Huge red flag, definitely. I would tell her that if she needs to weigh it at that time, to contact you in August to see if you have a space available then. That should send a clear message.

If you still want to offer the spot, or if she changes her position and declares she's 100% sure she wants a spot- I would insist on 2 weeks payment, and give a receipt indicating it is non-refundable, and for care from Sept x-xth. That way she can't try to fight legally for the money back. If she changes er mind, she can use it for 2 weeks or be out the money.

Outgoing
    Thanks kindredspirit...woul d DEFINATELY make her sign something that she is acknowledging it is NON REFUNDABLE IF SHE DOES NOT ACCEPT THE SPOT... Though she would love a spot with me in April (and I don't have one) .I think what she is doing is....trying to secure a spot in case the other one doesn't work out....but to think I would just refuse people....wait til Sept. to see if she still needs it....BOGGLES MY MIND!

Outgoing
    It seems a bit too much. Honestly I would not hold a spot even if it is with a advanced two weeks pay. If she decides to keep her child in the other place it is only two weeks payment she will loose, in your case same as mine, a two week payment would not cover a potential client loss. We all know that, a two week payment isn't enough to cover for that loss sometimes takes a month or two to fill a spot. Just let her know that the spot is hers for now but if you have people requesting a spot you'll definitely fill that spot or let her know if it still available. Also do not ask the two week payment yet, ask for it a month or two close to the starting date, by that time you should have a better feeling about this and also the parent, she will be more secure about her decision once she has tested the other care arrangement.

nope wait a week and let her know you filled the spot

Outgoing
    HELP AGAIN! I initially started this post. This woman says she DEFINATELY wants the spot...she wants to rush right over with a 2 week nonrefundable deposit. I told her the deposit DOES NOT count towards any of the daycare...she doesn't understand why it wouldn't go towards her first 2 weeks of daycare, if she follows through and accepts the spot!!! She says "you won't have lost anything"!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    HELP AGAIN! I initially started this post. This woman says she DEFINATELY wants the spot...she wants to rush right over with a 2 week nonrefundable deposit. I told her the deposit DOES NOT count towards any of the daycare...she doesn't understand why it wouldn't go towards her first 2 weeks of daycare, if she follows through and accepts the spot!!! She says "you won't have lost anything"!
    She is correct in her assumption. You have called it a deposit. A deposit is a payment towards something. If she in fact accepts the spot than a deposit should go towards first 2 weeks (or last). Calling it non refundable just means she doesn't get "money" back. She can have 2 weeks of care or walk away from the deposit.

If what you want is her to give you money for reserving a spot then you have to call it something else. Maybe a holding fee.

To be honest, I am unclear on what you want from her? Are you keeping a spot empty waiting for her? Your post reads like she has found temporary care to fill in while she waits for your spot to open.

Euphoric !
    A deposit goes to either the first 2 weeks of care or last two weeks of care as per your contract. it isn't just a bonus pay.

There is a "holding fee" which is used to pay to hold a spot that is open but not yet needed. It helps cover the caregivers expenses while the spot remains unused. This is also specified in the contract.

My understanding is that you have a spot opening in Sept that she wants to secure. Your concern is she will be using other care now and may choose to stay settled there rather than changing to you.

This is a risk YOU accept by taking this 2 week deposit. The deposit just means they are committed and you no longer look to fill the space. You both have contracted a promise hat the spot goes to this child. The money then goes to the care at your specified time.

I do believe it is illegal to charge money for a spot where the money does not go to the use of that spot. It would just create a richer person gets the spot kind of system which is not beneficial to anyone.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a $100/week holding fee for this situation. However, 6 months is way too long for you to hold it. Say that you'll keep her posted 1 or 2 months before and then charge a holding fee or if you feel comfortable- take her deposit then to secure the spot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fearlessbaby For This Useful Post:

Shy
    You could ask for the deposit (to be used for 2 weeks of care) and tell her to let you know as soon as possible if she changes her mind and you would refund the deposit if you were able to fill the spot without any lost income. My experience, this motivates them to let you know if they change their minds (earlier) and helps them to appreciate that you are just trying to keep a steady income.