Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    I think the playgroup idea is even better than an open house, and would accomplish the same end. Parents of young children are always looking for cheap/free things to do. Offering a drop-in playgroup, advertised on social media, would get parents in the door, and if they don't need care, they might recommend the place to friends that do. Or stick up for your business when confronted with gossip ("what him? No way, we go there for playgroup and it's wonderful!"). When I was on mat leave I loved playgroups. If you're looking for older children, offer toddler/preschooler activities, but advertise as baby friendly, and hopefully the sibling sets with a parent on leave would go. You may have a niche cornered with Dads on leave too. Any military families in your area? I find military and teacher dads are most likely to take long leaves while the mom goes back early.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Exactly, if you need setting up a playgroup your teachers (Ece's )can help out. Or if you need I can also share some ideas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I would really like to do some sort of playgroup. This week has been crazy but I've been thinking about the finer points of this to try to see how to get this working. The main challenges I see with the play group are:

1) we aren't really baby friendly. it's a preschool. I'm not sure how to accommodate kids that are under 2.
    2) i have a boy who has serious boundary issues. as a result of having no boundaries at home, he thinks he can do whatever he wants to. this at times causes problems with all the other children. I'm worried he will make a scene and then it will be like omg that centre sucks etc. this is why i have my scheduled visits during outside time as there's more room and less crazy.

i'm always open to ideas and suggestions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaius For This Useful Post:

Van

Expansive...
    There is this daycare in my area that does only one hour of parent participation outdoor playon Saturdays and they do that for a few weeks like the community centres set up a play time - then ALL of the parents want to get their children into that preschool in Sept and line up in April and it is only a half day program but they love it - something like that might work for you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    There is this daycare in my area that does only one hour of parent participation outdoor playon Saturdays and they do that for a few weeks like the community centres set up a play time - then ALL of the parents want to get their children into that preschool in Sept and line up in April and it is only a half day program but they love it - something like that might work for you
    As far as I know there are no community centres around here...I know it's weird. Also the weekend thing won't work since my teacher is quite a drive away and she does not like to drive. If I do it in the middle of the day during the week then I'd miss all the people who have to work...unless they are on mat leave, in which case the kids would be too young. I'll keep thinking on this for sure. I need to get out there somehow.

Outgoing
    No community, that would work great. I have been facilitating a playgroup. (POP UP). you do not need much, find a room that will be used only the for playgroup hours. I'm sure you already have equipment for the preschool age but, this is also easy, for babies is also easy in the room you can divide a little corner with low shelf a safe area for the babies the equipment is also easy (I can send you pictures of set ups if needed or you can search or ask your Ece's). Also, you have this options:

1. If the playgroup is done during weekdays then ask your challenging boy's teacher what is the best way to come him down (I also have ideas for behavior guidance). You can take charge of a classroom for two hours while one of your teachers facilitates the playgroup. You can start by facilitating once a week.

2. Due to the Non existence of community, it would work on your favor, maybe you can apply for and Ontario Early Centre to reach families in your community in your "installations" or a librarian. Knowing that they will have access to a room they will determine the capacity and safety measures to be taken, they will also bring their own equipment and facilitate all the program only for the determined hours.

Usually playgroups open 9 to 11:30 ish am. 0 to 6 years Olds. You can post 0 to 4 years Olds.

Another challenge I find, it is that your centre is only for preschoolers. My personal view is when parents look for spots and find them, it is hard to change daycares when a baby is settled, the only reasons they would change are:

1. They aren't happy with their current provider,
    2. Sometimes, they find that a centre have more educational activities to offer, a focused skill development, academics or a centre with a enriched philosophy in child minding (holistically). (Montessori, reggio, Waldorf, etc)

3. And families that just moved in, and have preschool children.

You really have to think, what is that you daycare offers different than others?

When you start, opening your door to welcome babies it is also an option for you to get a potential client or at least a recommendation to families in need of childcare for preschoolers.

Have you thought offering services for "respite care"; part time. Some parents also look for that. Especially for preschoolers.

I hope this helps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Well gees I typed this big reply and it went poof.

I don't live in Ontario. I like the separate room idea. Only thing I worry about is the first few weeks there wouldnt be many people and i don't want them feeling isolated separated in another room.

The only thing that really works with managing the challenging boy is getting him outside.

We do have a drop in service that almost never gets used.

Sorry I did not see your reply, for me, my first year was hard. I almost lost my home. Its so hard. I really don't have any advice for you that has not already been noted. Take care, and keep trying.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Well gees I typed this big reply and it went poof.

The only thing that really works with managing the challenging boy is getting him outside.

We do have a drop in service that almost never gets used.

the disappearing reply made me smile as it happens to me too
    it is so good to go outside for the active kids , what would we do without that!
    put a sign on the door and other places about the drop-in spot as maybe people don't know about it yet and word will go around-Good luck and Enjoy your long week-end

Read on this post. After reading the whole post, we can get solutions to deal with the trouble quickly and safely. Thanks for your nice sharing.