Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Releasing SIN#

Expansive...

Releasing SIN#

I'm in Ontario and have a BIN number to register my business. I have used the BIN number on tax receipts to parents for about the last 6 years, and said that the CRA can contact me if they need the SIN. I just didn't want my SIN in the hands of all clients.
    I have had an accountant call and leave me a message asking for my SIN. My question is, would you release a SIN# over the phone to an accountant? How do I know for sure that it truly is an accountant?
    Maybe I'm paranoid, but I treat my SIN very seriously/privately.
    Opinions please???

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I'm in Ontario and have a BIN number to register my business. I have used the BIN number on tax receipts to parents for about the last 6 years, and said that the CRA can contact me if they need the SIN. I just didn't want my SIN in the hands of all clients.
    I have had an accountant call and leave me a message asking for my SIN. My question is, would you release a SIN# over the phone to an accountant? How do I know for sure that it truly is an accountant?
    Maybe I'm paranoid, but I treat my SIN very seriously/privately.
    Opinions please???
    I wouldn't give it over the phone to a random accountant that calls me. But I would give it to an accountant that requests it, leaves their name and number for me to call back. I would then use the name and number to look them up online and find their office and credentials etc before calling.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

I agree with Lee-Bee. I would do the same.

I also have a BIN that I put on my receipts, and state that cra can contact me.
    Your not being paranoid.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

I think that this type of request should be made in writing. That way you have a paper trail

Expansive...
    It does sound fishy!!!