Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

Changing maximum 10 hour care policy

I'm finding that my parents are choosing to run errands, go to the gymn etc after work instead of coming to pick up their children. About a month ago I changed my closing time for the same reason but I have a few clients that start quite early and are able to take advantage of me by leaving their children at daycare for as long as possible. I'm considering shortening the time that I allow children to be in care before I charge an extra fee. How long do you providers allow a parent to leave their child at your daycare in a day? Thanks in advance for your input!

Starting to feel at home...
    I had that happen with my first clients, bugged the crap out of me! Now I have my 'program hours' (8-4) listed in my handbook, along with 'flexible pick up and drop off times are available that will be specified in your contract'. For each family, I ask when they need care for, and then when we do up the contract I add 15min to their average time (as long as it's not past my unwritten closing), and there's a late fee ($5/15min) after that. So if I have one written to come by 4:15, one by 5. If they both come at 5, one pays a late fee. Seems mean, but right now my latest pick up is 3:10 (contract time is til 4:15) and I don't want to work an extra hour so they can grocery shop!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I found parents were always doing the same here. I have a 9hr. maximum a day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Hi, I open 8 to 5. I'm flexible when the weather conditions aren't the best or school bus cancellations or family emergency matters.

I explain this all during the first interview. Other than that, I'm not concerned on what the parents do (ex. Free day at home, groceries, gym, etc) My proffesional ethic is; for them to respect my hours 8 to 5pm. And as a proffesional I respect their personal life style or choices. I'm getting payed for the services I offer and the hours I agreed signed between both parts.

I only ask them to pick their child earlier if they're not feeling well.

I do my 100% keeping the children engaged so, when a parent arrives earlier it also disturbs our activities. Their children aren't ready to leave yet. So, as my philosophy is respect children's well beings the parents have to wait until we are done. So everyone gets home happy. Unless is an emergency or a special family event. But this has to be discussed time ahead so I can explain that child that he/she will be leaving earlier that day.

In my location there are several daycare centres and open longer hours for lower fee, it is very competitive.

My regular hours are 8am to 5pm (late fees start at 5:01pm, and can not enter until 8am)
    My extended hours are: Start at 7:30 and/or stay open until 5:30 (late fees start at 5:31pm)

My reg. hours are at one weekly fee
    My extended are at a higher weekly fee

I find most choose my reg. hours so they don't have to pay more. So they pick up before they run errors, unless they get off work early.

Outgoing
    My hours are 9 hrs max or I would have had to quit a long time ago for burnout. Most parents pick up early if they can.
    I know of a couple who sent their child to care all summer full time even tho both parents home for summer. They didn't know what to do with their child when his daycare closed for 2week holiday. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    My hours are 9 hrs max or I would have had to quit a long time ago for burnout. Most parents pick up early if they can.
    I know of a couple who sent their child to care all summer full time even tho both parents home for summer. They didn't know what to do with their child when his daycare closed for 2week holiday. Sad.
    that is so disgusting why have kids

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Hi, I do not find it disgusting. We are all different and have different strengths some like us are.more patient with children and are able to handle it and some aren't. But we all want to be parents some day (that is our human nature); I fin that parents that can not handle or basically entertain their children value much more our work, they know how hard is with just one. I've seem new parents in need of guidance (I was a young parent too). What I do is try to get resources from my community and at least guide them towards other programs (summer camps, drop in, sing alongs, parenting workshops, etc). We are all in it, we are raising our new generation and we need to help each other out one way or another, anything counts. I have seen successful proffesional parents and no clue of how to keep a baby or toddler busy; they do not have our experience and long accumulated knowledge in childcare. When they look for care they also rely on our experience.

As soon as you show how rich your experience and knowledget is, these parents will stay for a long time keeping your spots full. You have not only helped raising their child, you have also helped them to become better parents.

I tell my families that a full time spot is for 7-9 hours. And even that is a long day for little ones! I work long days...7am-5:30 and each daycare spot is really filled with 2 children (one before school and one for the rest of the day)...but for the sake of the child, I wouldn't let them come for the entire 10 1/2 hours I'm open...it isn't right..

Shy
    Lately I reluctantly changed to a maximum 10hr day because I was having some trouble filling spots. But based on some families I've met with I decided it's not worth it. I am going back to 9hrs even if that means I will have to turn people away. May try 9.5hrs which is a compromise...If I could raise my rate and stay competitive I would do that and increase my max. I don't want to work more hours for the same pay :/

Interviewed one family who could comfortably do 730-430 but once I mentioned 10hr max she mentioned some days could be 530 pickup. That annoyed me but if you give them the time people will use it.

I envy the hours a lot of you keep.