Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

New daycare started Monday..

Hello, I have started a new daycare. I have 2 families who have received my package, including policy and payment structures.
    I have been watching the kids all week, but have not received payment yet for the first 2 weeks of care..
    I have mentioned if they waiting for cheques I would take EMT in the interim..still nothing.
    How would you go about securing your payment prior to next week's being due?
    I have brought it up 3 times, so hoping for a bit more firm advice

I know a lot of daycares require payment in advance. I have 5 daycare families...2 families pay me in advance for the whole month..the other 3 families pay me every Friday after I've watched their children for the week. I wouldn't watch them for more than a week without getting paid. I would tell your families that payment is due every Friday or they won't be able to return on Monday. Good luck!

Starting to feel at home...
    I would say (firmly) on Friday at pick up-if nothing by then, "perhaps there was a misunderstanding, but I required payment this week for the first 2 weeks. In order to come on Monday, I must receive 2 weeks fees, and in the future, fees are due on Friday for the following week".

All my families pay in advance, either weekly or biweekly, none of them questioned me on it (I always paid in advance for daycare for my oldest).

Euphoric !
    My main concern here would be you have started off in a position where your clients are in control. This sets the tone for the rest of their time with you.

As uncomfortable as it will be you need to take charge. Otherwise any time something comes up and they don't have the money they will just not pay you until it is convenient for them.

If your policy is they pay BEFORE the weeks of care then their children do not step foot in the daycare until fees are paid.

Send a written letter at DROP OFF tomorrow morning noting fees are to be in hand at pick up. Let them know in writing that their not paying in full Friday will be considered their decision to terminate care immediately. You will quite possibly be out a weeks pay...but it will save you many potential future headaches.

The only way they should have been in care this week was if the parents discussed this with you at the signing of the contract. I get it, it can be really hard for some to come up with that initial payment. BUT their not bringing this to light and discussing it is a sign they feel they don't need to and that they believe they are in control. And frankly they are in control because they are receiving free care.

Expansive...
    I get post-dated cheques from each so I am not running after them each pay day

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    So did you receive your fees?

Shy
    I did! Thank you so much. You were completely right and I should have never lost control in the first place.
    Thank you so much, I have so much to learn and am already so thankful to have found this community!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teeny For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I take 6 months of post dated cheques in advance. I do up fee schedules, and collect cheques in June and December. No pay, no stay is my motto.

OMG, you need to get the fees BEFORE they start. I have a policy that states if they don't pay outstanding fees after 5 days, I suspend care until all fees are paid. Good luck!

What about if kids leave before 6 months? Do you return the cheques?