Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tips for interviewing

I'm a little green at this, please give me some tips for a solid interview. I have 3 kids of my own and I'm torn between trying to give them a structured activity like playdough that will keep them happy and out of the way vs. free play with the toys that the child coming for the interview is likely to join in (we do playdough at the kitchen table and my kitchen is narrow so I'd prefer to conduct the interview in my living room).
    plus, I just don't know what questions to ask of my own.
    thanks for any ideas!

Starting to feel at home...
    I have only been doing daycare for 4 years, and have only had to interview once since I did my original group. But this year I have 5 kids (one of my own) leaving for Primary, so I have recently done a few interviews and this is what I have found:
    Be prepared with copies of your policies and PRC, First aid certificates, etc. to go over with the parents.
    I like to make sure the daycare space is tidy, but not immaculate....that is not how it usually looks so I like to keep things as realistic as possible lol
    When parents arrive, introduce yourself and welcome them with a handshake.
    I really, really try not to have my own kids home at the time, but sometimes I have to.
    I give the parents a tour of the spaces we use for daycare first. then we sit and I go over my policies if they haven't already read them, and answer any questions they have. Once it seems like they''ve finished with their questions I will focus on the child a bit if they''ve brought him/her, and chat with the parents to get a feel of their parenting style.
    When I feel like the interview is done I suggest we go outside to see the play space before they leave. This way I can get them moving along without seeming like I'm kicking them out
    If I had a good feel about the interview I give them a registration pkg and let them know I'd love to arrange another visit for them to come during daycare hours and meet the other kids. Not everyone likes having parents stay during daycare hours but I get a real feel for what kind of parent they are and I like parents to know exactly what they are getting from me if they sign on. Also, if I liked the family I email them after the interview, thanking them for coming and list my references.
    Happily, I have just filled my last space so hopefully no more interviews for a while! Now, onto transitioning new kids for the next month :s

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SongSparrow For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My playroom is in the basement and when I used to interview I had hubby or sometimes even the teen next door to look after my kids upstairs while I was with the family downstairs. I introduced everybody but told the family this was my method so that my attention could be on them for the time they were in my home.

I would suggest a kids tv show but that could upset people coming if they are anti tv even if you swear you never turn it on during the daycare day.

Make sure the activity is something you never have to intervene in and that won't be an issue if the new child wanders out - ie you are interviewing a new toddler and letting your own kids have playdough or markers and scissors. Otherwise all through the interview it will mean jumping up to get child or whatever.

Are your own children old enough to be introduced and then sent to their rooms to play with the promise of a big reward after the interview if they behaved?

Other option if you are interviewing a younger child is to set up a blanket on the floor of the livingroom with some age appropriate toys and have your own children in the room where you can see them but with books or Gameboy or music and headphones.

my own kids are 5, 3 and 1 so I can't really send them anywhere. DH will be home today though so I could put them all out in the yard.....
    I was thinking though interviewer might think it's odd if I send away the kids their little one will be interacting with all day? I mean aside from the eldest as he'll be in school

Expansive...
    My girls are 3 and 1 so I am similar to you. I greet them at the door and we all go down to my basement. My girls just go off and play. My interviews are very casual. I can tell within a few minutes of general chit chat if I am interested. I basically just sit on a mat, let them have a look around, talk about myself, ask about what they are looking for in a daycare and go over the main points in my contract. I don't read from my contract or give anyone anything to take home. I also make sure they know I am interviewing them as well and that it is extremely important for me to work with families that fit in with mine and others in my care.

If a family contacts me after the interview expressing interest then I email them my contract.

Euphoric !
    I do a thorough prescreening for the basics to make sure the family & I are a good match so we don't waste our time with interviewing. For instance, if somebody is looking for a 6:30am start I am not the daycare for them because I open at 7:30. Might as well get all the basics out of the way at the beginning. I schedule interviews for about 5pm so they are over by 7pm and I have the rest of the evening to get things done. I want to meet the entire family if possible.

When they come in I start talking as we tour the rooms and explain how I run my daycare, our routines, some of my philosophies and let them ask questions as our conversation flows. I ask them questions about their family, their parenting beliefs, how the baby sleeps, eats, and about their temperament, etc. People love to talk about themselves and their child if you get them going and you can get a really good feeling if they are nice, open and honest people or high maintenance.

I set out age appropriate toys for the child to play with on the floor while I speak with the parents. But an interview is a part of the business end of daycare so the parents need to see that I'm serious about my business and my contract. But as the child comes to me I talk to them and maybe even ask them a couple of questions. But this is also a good opportunity to observe how the parents hover over their child or encourage them to be independent. That's important to me too. Learning about their parenting.

You don't have to accept just any family you know, choose the ones who are easy to work with and won't make your life miserable. We are interviewing the families, they are not just interviewing us. As you become more established and have your spaces full you can be more choosy of course, but you learn with every interview and every experience. Good luck.
    Last edited by Momof4; 08-22-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Number one rule of interviewing: YOU are in charge of the interview.

What that means is that YOU set the tone right from the start that YOU are interviewing THEM just as much as they are interviewing you. You don't have to accept anyone into care that you don't want. Watch for red flags. Watch for questions like:

- what is your policy if we are late picking up
    - what is your policy on allowing kids to not nap or getting them up if they don't want to sleep
    - what is your policy on late payments
    - will you work with your fees and lower them
    - can we pay if our kid doesn't come because they are sick, grandma came into town etc

Make sure you pay attention to the questions they ask you. Usually there is a lot to learn from the question THEY ask. It tells you what is important to them and what problems they might have in the future (as is the case with them asking what your LATE policy is).

My interviews are very structured and I take the lead from the beginning. By the time the parents are given the opportunity to talk and ask questions I have already gone over everything and they usually don't have anything left to ask.

Oh, and if someone is completely rude and disrespectful in an interview (yes, it DOES happen) then don't be afraid to stand up, tell them you are done with the interview and ask them to leave.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    During an interview, i had a mom tell me my daycare perfect, I seem perfect and she seemed happy to enrol her child (which she did). During our talks I could tell something still bothering her and for some reason I read her mind and said "You don't know what I'm like when the nterview is done and once the daycare's door shuts (everyone is on best behavior when meeting). And she looked relieved and nodded. I told her that some day, when I'm old and vulnerable and need care in a seniors home (we basically turn into babies again ), this daycare generation will be looking after me. I'll be sure to be fair and good to them. ...Just food for thought.

Euphoric !
    I don't do interviews during daycare hours as I don't bring strangers into my home when the daycare children are there ... I always make sure hubby is home and he occupies my kids while I do the interview .... I have a designated daycare space in my lower level with a separate entrance so the prospective clients come right into the daycare and not into my home

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I not do interview in daycare hours. I not allow any unvetted people around client children. I not want good client get annoyed with endless admin happen when they paying me care for their child. It not practical have split attention on interview family and current client.

Make interview appointment for immediately after daycare close for day, and when you children father home. He can take household children OUT. Own children can be prone show off little when visitor come and last thing you need is own children acting out and making you look unprofessional.