Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Before & After School Care

Hello,

I am wondering how provider handle their full-time daycare kids and before/after school care kids. I see many provider with 5 daycare kids plus an additional 2-4 kids in elementary school. How does one do this while still working within their ratios. One provider said she takes her kids to a public place in the afternoons? Library park etc does anyone know if this is legal or how it would work?

Thanks!

Outgoing
    I could be wrong but, to my understanding it is only five children at all the times. And this year I think from September children between ages 10 and 12 years old also count in the ratio.

I also think it is not true that the caregiver takes the children to public places. Unless she lives really close to the public places even so, how about these cold winter days? They had to be sheltered somewhere. And if it was at her house then, it is ilegal.

Even insurance companies wouldn't not cover in the event of something happening to her or her group. I have a friend who cares for eight but, she makes sure she only has five at all times. She coordinated with parents and everyone is responsible to respect their days and timing.

It also has become hard to get insurance for six children. Most insurances only cover for five.

Euphoric !
    She is absolutely operating illegally. The only time the 'public place' thing works is when you're meeting with other providers and their groups. She is allowed only 5 children under 13 years of age in her care, including her own children under 6, regardless of location.

I have 7 daycare children sharing 4 daycare spots. It's all about timing. Some full time children need to start after I have sent 2 kids to school...1 full timer goes home before an after school child arrives. This way you can maximize your earnings...but i do work long hours (7-5:30)

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockland ECE View Post
    I have 7 daycare children sharing 4 daycare spots. It's all about timing. Some full time children need to start after I have sent 2 kids to school...1 full timer goes home before an after school child arrives. This way you can maximize your earnings...but i do work long hours (7-5:30)
    That's completely fine, so long as only 5 children including your own kids under 6 are in care at any given time. The woman described in the original post appears to have 5 daycare children in addition to 4-5 elementary school kids. Her claim that this is legal because they are in a public space is completely incorrect. Unless those 4-5 elementary children are her own and they're all over 6 years of age, she is operating illegally.

I have to give you credit for piecing all those part timers together. Wow! That's a lot of effort! I stopped facilitating part time about 5 years ago and I never take school aged any more. I work 11-12 hours each day as well, but it's all with one group, which helps. I don't miss p/t in the slightest and commend anyone who can keep up with that!
    Last edited by cfred; 03-15-2017 at 12:26 PM.

I was just answering her question as to how to do it. I always stay within ratio. And I agree that watching a larger group in a public place is illegal.

I kinda like the challenge of piecing it all together...I have 3 full-time and 4 part-timers. I also have 2 boys of my own..1 5 yr old (he's in SK) and a 3 yr old who takes up a full time spot of course.

The only problem that arises is what to do in the summer time when my 5 yr old counts in the ratio and some of my part timers want a full time spot. I think this yr I'll be fine bc I have some kids who's parents are teachers and will not need care in the summer...but i can see that being a problem one of these years as I try and piece together all these families.
    Last edited by Rockland ECE; 03-15-2017 at 03:06 PM.