Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Does this happen to you? Disappearing potential clients...

So this has happened to me a few times but I asked a colleague of mine and it doesn't really happen to her.

I'd have families come to for the tour, they talk about how great it is to me verbally, and talk about which days they want and when they are looking to start. Then poof I don't hear from them again. Am I just reading them wrong?

I've also had families talk about starting in 2-3 weeks, which is pretty short notice, then poof I don't hear from them again. What the hell?

I waste so much energy and time giving them tours, setting up the room, sending them registration documents, talking on the phone and email...

Euphoric !
    I think some parents feel awkward coming into your home/daycare and therefore just say they love it and want to start to please the caregiver in person. Once they leave and reflect on their visit they may decide it isn't the best fit. At this point it would be polite to let the caregiver know (even just in an email) but that isn't always the case, some people prefer to just cut communication.

Don't chase people down. Let them know that you are willing to offer them a space and they have until XX date to sign a contract if they want it. Then leave it in their hands.

Do not look desperate for them to sign on and try not to make it seem like they are your only hope of filling the space.

I let all families know that I am interviewing others and will let them know if I feel they are a good fit after I have met all my families (whether there are more families or not). I never ask a family to commit while in my home. I do not ask them if they like my place etc. They HAVE to go home and think and reflect. The last thing you want is a family that isn't a good fit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I agree with Lee bee, also you must know that families are looking other options as well and they are basically letting you know what are their needs. I'm very open and honest to them I tell them if I have more visitors coming or I tell them that there isn't more families. My first visits are.basically to connect and talk so they have a chance to kmow me first. And then Give just a general reference of my contract (sometimes it could be overwelming to new families to try to see and scan the place and try to read) the visits are very friendly no committed at all just a look walk and Chad in general. I also encourage to them to go and visit other locations and to keep back in touch only if they're interested so, then we can move forward snd I can send by email my references and contracts etc. And go for another visit if needed. No pressure at all. The least thing I would need is making someone make a decision on the spot and then regret later on. Personally, It would represent more time invested.

I invest most of my time during tours and connect as something for them to consider it in a long term or short term.

I find it also that their feed back on the spot will always be positive but they need their private discussion to analize pros an cons and then make a decision.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Yes, it's all a part of our job - it especially hurts when you really think they'd be a good fit and you like the child, and your spot's been open for a while...and then nothing. I do find that some parents take weeks to decide and run risk of losing spot to someone else. But for those who never communicate back - just move on. I think Realtors probably have same issue and people in sales. Just have to believe the right mutual fit will come along.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks for all the new perspectives. Gives me something new to think about.

Expansive...
    Just say to yourself ....NEXT

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post: