Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Payment for days not attended

Hello!

I have a daycare mom who has a consistent problem with paying for days not attended, even though she has a signed contract for a full time spot. Everytime her daughter has been sick or missed a day, she's asked me if she needs to pay for those days and argues with me via email or text about it. I have explained it to her as clearly as I can, I've even scanned and emailed the signed contract and applicable handbook pages to her multiple times. She has always paid the full amount, but it keeps happening. After the last time, I told her that if she is looking for a daycare with different policies I would understand but that mine were as stated.

Today when dropping her daughter off, she told me she didn't have school next week and that they wouldn't be coming so she wouldn't be paying anything. I had to explain nicely but firmly my policies yet again, and then she asked to pay only half.

It's frustrating, and I feel like today she asked me in front of all the kids on purpose (but of course, I could be reading too much into that). I'm considering terminating the contract over this, and I would like some opinions or suggestions please Thank you!

Euphoric !
    tell her she pays by enrollment not for days or hours used, its in the contract and you read it and signed it and i dont think we need to discuss this again. the next time she asks then hand her a termination letter.. if you get paid on fridays biweekly for the following two weeks of care then give her the letter on the friday after you have received her fees. otherwise you likely wont see any money

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    She sounds young, I personally would give her 2 months notice and hopefully you will find someone to fill her spot

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Hi, when you are saying that "mom did not have school next day", does means she is a student?; I think it makes sense that she disagrees to pay when she is in a tight budget.

When you do your interviews you also have an idea of what the parents do for living; same as you I explain all during first interviews and when I notice certain situations such as: student budgets, single parents, or parents looking for new jobs, I give them resources to apply for subsidies which helps to come up with the difference until they can be established.

I was young and I was also a student we had only one income and it was hard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I had a similar issue with a family a few years ago. After the second time I explained my policy (and showed them the contract they had signed), I refused to discuss it anymore. The third time I just said, "You know what the payment policies are, I'm not having this discussion again." They got the point

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemondrop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peacefulbird View Post
    Hi, when you are saying that "mom did not have school next day", does means she is a student?; I think it makes sense that she disagrees to pay when she is in a tight budget.

When you do your interviews you also have an idea of what the parents do for living; same as you I explain all during first interviews and when I notice certain situations such as: student budgets, single parents, or parents looking for new jobs, I give them resources to apply for subsidies which helps to come up with the difference until they can be established.

I was young and I was also a student we had only one income and it was hard.
    I'm not sure how it is relevant what this parents financial situation is. It isn't about not caring, but she is running a business and they signed a contract. It is not appropriate to negotiate after the fact. If she didn't agree with paying when not attending then she shouldn't have signed and should have gone elsewhere. Life is hard but it doesn't mean you have to behave like this person is. Its disrespectful and rude. PERIOD.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 03-24-2017 at 10:32 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    She sounds young, I personally would give her 2 months notice and hopefully you will find someone to fill her spot
    Not sure what the "She sounds young" means? If you expect a parent to stick to the contract, then the provider needs to stick to it. Give the parent the amount of notice as per your contract.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Stick to your contract. If it happen again, tell me that you find it incredibly disrespectful that she keep asking for discount when she fully know the policy and that if this continues, you will be seeking new client where you not have endless battle for fee.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

I have option for "daily rate" payment.Parents would count number of days of each month and write the cheque accordingly. If the child attends full month, the fee comes to more $$. But they don't have to pay for the days not attended. It is usually not beneficial for parents to pay this way.
    (but they have the option)