Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions?

Euphoric !

Suggestions?

I am in a bit of an awkward situation.

I care for the neighbors boys (up the street, close but not next door). I had been running a home daycare full-time. It did not work for us so I closed, I cared for one child 4 days a week she went off to school and then I sort of took in these 2 boys. We do not have a contract. They pay a set hourly fee for the hours in care. I close when I am sick, when we travel etc as I wish. They don't come when they don't need care. It's pretty informal.

The mom put her full time career on hold because they did NOT want daycare. But they can't afford one income so she works (total different job) in evenings and weekends and I cover the over lap between her's and dad's work schedules. The grandma covers the times I do not take them (she has them weekends and 1-2 afternoon/evenings a week).

BUT...here's my problem. The boys' dad was recently diagnosed with cancer. He now goes in every 2 weeks for appointments and tests and what not. I have offered to take the kids one morning every 2 weeks so mom can go to the appointments with him. My mornings are meant for my daughter and I but I don't mind as this is a unusual circumstance.

My daughter starts school in September. We need to get her on a sleep routine that will work with school we need to have her learn to be up early and dressed and ready for the bus etc. But this does not work with having the boys because they are here over supper and go at 6:30. But my daughter will long be into bedtime routine by then for school.

So ultimately I need/want to stop care in the summer. I am thinking by the start of July. But when do I tell them? Now when they are newly in the cancer diagnosis and everything is unknown. Or risk waiting with the potential that his cancer has progressed things are potentially just not well. I kind of feel like either way I am a bad person. But at the same time my family needs to come first. I feel for them and I can't imagine how scary things are for them right now but that shouldn't really be impacting my end date.

Any suggestions on best timing to set an end date? Which makes me seem less evil???

I know they expect summer care as I had them last summer, and the mom keeps mentioning she wants to send the boys next fall if I don't get on the supply list. I have just recently decided that even if I am not back to supply teaching when my daughter starts school I will not care for the boys because we will have limited time with our daughter and I don't care to share that time with other kids. She will need attention, supper, school work, bed routine without other kids around. So I suspect in mom's mind I will have the boys all summer and potentially through the fall. I need to break the news. But timing is bad :-(

Expansive...
    I tell her now and let her know asap so she can look for something that works for her in the summer and fall, say something like .....I just want to let you know that at the end of JUNE I plan to CLOSE my daycare and I want to give you Lots of time to arrange for another daycare for the summer , I am really sorry for closing but felt it best to give you LOTS of notice.