Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Wondered what you guys do

So I'm a single mom and private home daycare provider and I am dating. I have been seeing a guy for a bit now and he visits on occasion during my daycare hours. I'm wondering what other daycare providers do in this situation. If you ever have visitors or not during your working hours. He doesn't help me at all with the kids, just drops by for a short time. Thanks in advance.

Starting to feel at home...
    I never have anyone around during daycare hours (outside of my family) unless the parents know and are okay with it.

Euphoric !
    Personally I think it depends on the type of daycare you have. Some home daycares are run under the premise that the care provider is giving her 100% to the children during daycare hours. Not chatting with friends, cleaning their house etc. Other home daycares are done in a manner where the care provider is doing household tasks during daycare hours while still caring for the children.

I personally would be unsettled by having my child in a home with different men in it during daycare hours. It is one thing to have a live in spouse around during daycare hours (as I would meet them before signing a contract) but it is a bit different when it is someone that the parents haven't met.

I don't know how you should proceed. But I would consider how to think the parents would respond if they showed up unannounced to get their child and he was there. That should be your starting point for figuring this out :-)

Expansive...
    If I was in your place I would ask him to visit after the kids are gone

Expansive...
    In my opinion it is unprofessional to have social visits during business hours, regardless of the nature of the relationship (dating, friend etc). Play dates with other care givers or parents are different. My daycare is very relaxed but I do not invite people over to socialize with me while I am supposed to be working.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Unless it's a guest staying in my home (like an out-of-town friend or relative) I don't have people over during daycare hours. My husband (works 2 weeks away, 2 weeks off) and my babysitter are occasionally here, and help out with meals or games, but they both have criminal record checks and child abuse registry checks available for parents to see (requirement of the agency I work with). After a while, I suppose it would be natural for him to spend more time in your home (just like my husband hangs out here when he's off) but I think the daycare parents should be introduced at that point (just have him drop by before pick up so he can be introduced by name, shake their hand, etc).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kindredspirit For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    No. Not socializing during my work hours. No phone calls no texting, no solicitors, no other people in my home (just family with criminal record checks and child abuse checks); i do not do house work or cook; when i have been payed for "caregiving", my time is spent 100% with my group. Calls and text are accepted only in case of emergency (thanks for call display:0), everyone is aware of that. They leave a message and it will be checked and answered if necessary during nap time.

I personally think he should get the criminal reference check, just in case of any questioning. It would be awful if you haven't told the parents and the little ones did. (If they are in that age).

I also think if your relationship is serious then he should be introduced but, if you are unsure yet then dating should be out of your hours of work (you both deserve privacy to figure it out). Do not let this geopardize or interfere with the work you do, keep a.clean reputation, specially when we work with the most susceptible sector of our society "children".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post:

I actually don't think it's a big deal if he visits during daycare hours. As long as you are not distracted by him and as long as you've known him for awhile now. A home daycare should feel like home and it's nice to have some company. I occasionally have my mom over, or my aunt, sister, and even a neighbour. My daycare kids still get the attention they deserve and we follow the routine like always...

Euphoric !
    When your day home open for children, you meant to be working not socializing. I do think it a big deal to have people call in but an unknown male, would be concern to lot of parent. Those who have spouse, normally have police check for client for spouse, and those client aware of that situation when they decide to come.

This completely avoidable especially since he calling in for short period of time. It show it not urgent and can wait until end of business day. Would be same for most employees - they not able have someone they date pop in and out of work location in work hours.

As a daycare owner: I would be very careful here! Tell him nicely that this is against the licensing regulations.
    As a parent: I would not like it either.